PDA

View Full Version : 2WD to 4WD conversion?

markrinker
06-12-2005, 03:39
What would the cost be to convert a 2001 Duramax/Allison equipped 3500 series truck from 2WD to 4WD?

I KNOW this sounds crazy, but I have found a work truck that is priced in the 'teens with some warranty still left - and its set up with flatbed and towing options - exactly like my other three trucks.

Can it be done for under 5K? If so, I may buy the truck and use it for towing until its out of warranty, then do the 4WD conversion so it can plow snow in the winter as well.

Here is the truck:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4555758237&ssPageName=ADME:B:BN:MT:1

[ 06-12-2005, 12:27 PM: Message edited by: Mark Rinker ]

More Power
06-13-2005, 09:17
I understand that the 2WD & 4WD both have torsion bar suspension, so they may share a variety of front suspension components. But, without a careful comparison of the parts involved and the frame details, it would be just a guess as to whether it's economically feasible.

I'd price out a 4WD front frame rails/front suspension clip from a salvage center. You could begin your parts search at www.spaldingautoparts.com (http://www.spaldingautoparts.com)

MP

markrinker
06-13-2005, 12:51
Good idea - thx.

Which would be easier, push button 4WD or the manual lever shift? Would the ECM(s) need to be swapped out as well from the donor truck?

More Power
06-13-2005, 14:34
You'll need the related transfer case/front axle electrical harnesses and TCCM (Transfer Case Shift Control Module) to get a "Selectable" (pushbutton) transfer case control. Plus it would require reprogramming the ECM/TCM with a VIN that is equipped the way you eventually want it configured.

A manual transfer case would be easier, but you'd still need the front axle harness and the transfer case harness (for range selection output).

MP

markrinker
06-15-2005, 04:30
Well the truck sold off Ebay. Its nice to see some of these earlier D/A's coming down in price...maybe I can afford one sometime this year!!!