PDA

View Full Version : NAPA Allison Filter - Warning...

BozDMAX
06-08-2005, 15:38
Pinched for time the other day so I stopped at NAPA for a transmission external spin on filter(and with diesel fuel at $2.45 in NY I didn't want to drive 100 miles to pick up the 'real' things). Parts guy gave me a their listed filter (NAPA PN 7701), which I questioned but he insisted it was right.

When I pulled the old filter off and cleaned the magnet, I noticed that the perimeter holes in the NAPA filter were completely covered by the magnet. That would be bad, said I to myself. Course, I had already primed the new filter with fluid...

So I put the old filter back on (had only been using it for maybe 10K). Tomorrow I will stop at the Detroit Diesel Allison dealer in Syracuse to pick up the real thing and then drive to NAPA hoping to convince them to refund the $15 I paid for an $8 filter (I did say I was in a hurry...) that I have since filled with tranny fluid intending to put it on my truck.

Anyone else out there notice the problem with the NAPA filter holes?
Did he give me the wrong filter #?
Anyone suppose I just wasted $15?

Does NAPA really stand for "Never A Part Available"?

[ 06-09-2005, 03:24 AM: Message edited by: BozDMAX ]

Kennedy
06-09-2005, 17:21
The Baldwin filter is the same way. If you look closer you will see that the plate is curved allowing ample area for flow.

Jim Brzozowski
06-14-2005, 08:45
Hey, BozDmax, did you ever drive road racing Karts at Henderson?

BozDMAX
06-14-2005, 17:50
Nope - Livingston is just a mailing address for us. Too busy for the last 26 years moving around at the behest of Uncle Sam.