PDA

View Full Version : Is Grape Juice for front axle on 03 OK?

Tiptoptune
11-13-2003, 22:12
Is it ok to use the Gm Grape Juice in the front axle on our 03 Silverado? I have some left from changing the rear and think I saw a post here a while back saying it was ok to use and even good in cold climate for it provides easier engagement of front axle at sub zero temps at something else. Have 20k on truck and I wish to change soon. Truck lives in monntains of Colorado at 10,000 feet - COLD. Come on snow!!!

Thanks again all.

DmaxMaverick
11-14-2003, 16:57
Yes. You can use the grape juice in the front. There is a GM bulletin on the use of synthetics in the front diff, although I don't know the #. The bulletin stated that in extreme cold climates, it is recommended that synthetic lube be used for the front diff. to aid in 4 X 4 engagement, proper lubrication, and seal durability. It also states that the plastic vent nipple cap needs to be upgraded to a synthetic compatible one (one is black, the other is white). Because of the location you are in, a local dealer may foot the bill for the new cap.

As far as using the grape juice in the front, I would not suggest it. Save it for the rear. It would do just fine, but, IMO, just too expensive at 4 times the cost of compatible others. I have been using Amsoil synthetic lube in the front and rear for over 60K with no problems (even with the wrong cap-didn't know about it at the time I changed). Redline, Mobile 1, Penzoil, etc. synthetics would be fine also.

Cheers

Tiptoptune
11-15-2003, 07:28
DmaxMaverick
Thank you very much for the info. I would have never thought about the vent. Anyone know the tech bulletin # or a good dealer near Denver? Or 75 miles West?

jbplock
11-15-2003, 16:00
Feb 03 GM Tech Link - Synthetic Front Axle Lubricant (http://service.gm.com/gmtechlink/images/issues/feb03/TLFeb03e.html#story13)