PDA

View Full Version : Steering Shaft on 2002 Silverado

denverdale
06-06-2005, 08:25
I had the steering shaft replaced on my 2002 Silverado today. When I went into the shop, the steering wheel was very close to straight when going straight down the road. When I left the shop, the steering wheel is about a 15* off straight when going down the road. The service writer said that the new shaft can only go on two ways and is not splined, as I thought it was. Any one else have this happen to them? The dealer said to bring it back in and they would check it. That means another day shot out of my busy retired life.

Denverdale

oyazi
06-06-2005, 15:49
Had mine changed out a few mos back w/o centering problem.

madmatt
06-06-2005, 17:38
your wheel will either be right side up or udside down. the shaft is not splined but is more like an elongated circlular shaft w/ two flat sides with a hole through each end for the bolts and a joint in the middle.

jcummins
06-07-2005, 02:38
Wait a minute. You mean the steering wheel can't be aligned to be straight because of how the replacemnet steering shaft is designed?

I'm due for this replacement shaft....but that is something I really dislike is a steering wheel off center.

Who else has had this done? and what's the outcome?

madmatt
06-07-2005, 08:12
no it should be straight. something has been done wrong if it's not straight. I've done hundreds and have never had one that was off center.

SHOPMAN426
06-07-2005, 16:58
This question is for the GM guys changing out these steering shafts. Are you changing them out to fix the problem? or are they being changed out because the customer wants it changed out and is paying for this service. I have been after two dealers to do this as a warranty issue, but no luck so far. I have an extended warranty but I feel this one should be on GM.

Shopman426, :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Mike

madmatt
06-07-2005, 18:28
we change them to correct the problem and end up goodwilling probably 90% of the shafts that are out of warrenty due to it being a known problem. unfortunently the 10% thats not goodwilled is due to the fact that we can't when an extended warr. is in place. in this case, for good customers, we usually cover any deductable that may apply.

SHOPMAN426
06-08-2005, 05:28
Thanks Madmatt, it's good to know there are still good guys out there willing to help and do the right thing. I will lean on them a little harder. The first shop refuses to do anything but the lube job that I have had twice and doesn't last. This new shop can see my past history but isn't willing to jump right in and swap it out. Time will tell.

Thanks again,

Shopman426.
Mike. :cool: