PDA

View Full Version : best value in Alli upgrade kits

biker Wayne
11-13-2003, 10:57
I'm not a mechanic and don't know much about the Allison or the upgrade kits available. I've seen a lot of discussion about the ATS Copilot kit and the Transgo kit. I'm looking for a comparison of the different kits for a moderate increase in HP, like adding either a regular Juice or the hot Juice (ie addn 90 to 120 hp at the rear wheels). I know there are level 2 and 3 kits available for up to 550 rwhp, but I don't need to go that far. What is the best bang for the buck in tranny upgrade kits for 350 rwhp (assuming that stock is 250)?
I bought the extended warranty so I have the Alli covered for a total of 100K miles. I'm planning on keeping the truck if it hasn't shown signs of heavy maintenance at 100K. If the Alli dumps before then, I'll have it covered under warranty. If its running fine at 100K, I think I'll have an upgrade kit put in and fix any plates that are burned. Are there any problems with my logic?
Thanks.

a bear
11-13-2003, 15:47
I recommend TransGo shift kit and single disc converter upgrade.

mike Any particular reason? :confused:

403turbo
11-14-2003, 10:18
I agree with Mike L.

For a moderate level of power increase the Transgo and a convertor is the way to go.

If you are absolutley going to stop at +125 horse you could probably get by with just a Transgo and skip the TC. Anymore and you would be foolish to not upgrade the TC.

R&R costs are the big factor, replace the TC while you have it apart if you think you might want more than +125 HP

RichBailey
11-14-2003, 11:17
Mike L.
Please send me an email, I have a couple of questions for you. parussky@yahoo.com
Rich

dmaxalliTech
11-14-2003, 18:21
I also agree with Mike L. I have the Trans go kit with the stock conv. I have a Hot OJ stacked with a pred and it handles everything I throw at it, Towing and otherwise. I didnt do the conv at time of install because I can put it in for free, if your paying to have it done, might better do the conv the first time around. Save on double dip labor. I understand that the Suncoast is working pretty good and is pretty stout, but it comes at a cost, over 5k IIRC.

Kennedy
11-14-2003, 18:49
Originally posted by dmaxalliTech:
I also agree with Mike L. I have the Trans go kit with the stock conv. I have a Hot OJ stacked with a pred and it handles everything I throw at it, Towing and otherwise. For now...

It WILL catch up to you sooner or later, ask Mtomac!

big dipper
11-14-2003, 20:39
Originally posted by kennedy:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by dmaxalliTech:
I also agree with Mike L. I have the Trans go kit with the stock conv. I have a Hot OJ stacked with a pred and it handles everything I throw at it, Towing and otherwise. For now...

It WILL catch up to you sooner or later, ask Mtomac! </font>[/QUOTE]What does Mtomac know about a Transgo.....he has an ATS...

403turbo
11-15-2003, 05:39
While I think that there is definitly a limit to what the Transgo alone can take it may be the best bang for the buck for someone who isn't looking for 11 sec. 1/4's in a 7000 lbs truck.

For the crowd that wants power and performance on a more rational level, the convertor and Transgo are the way to go.

I mean lets stop and think about this, @ 425 HP and 800 Lbs of Torque a HJ truck has more power than a Z06 and enough torque to send a viper back to the engine shop. Granted our trucks are 2 tons too heavy.............anyway, there is a high value solution for the guy that dosen't drink diesel and fart nitrous :D

kavik
02-08-2004, 15:09
Mike L. email me. chris1@west.net

Live in Santa Barbara, want to find a tranny shop to do trans go upgrade and maybe tc. Chris