PDA

View Full Version : Steering Box leak

kanton1
05-27-2002, 13:43
I just noticed I have a steering box leak. It appears that the fluid is coming from the rear of the box where the steering shaft enters. I checked all hoses, etc... and everything else was dry.

Has anybody else experienced this? If so, what was the fix?

Thanks,
Kyle

Joe.G
05-27-2002, 16:17
If it's in warranty you take it to the dealer, if it's not then you have to fix it yourself or take it to someone who can. I have done this before on my 1978 Blazer, I can assure you it ain't no piece of cake to install the seal kit. GM sells the seal kit with complete instructions, make it light on yourself.

windjammer
05-28-2002, 15:12
kanton1, didn't you recently have a bearing in your steering box replaced?

mackin
05-28-2002, 16:13
Oh man say it aint so ........... First the rear (axel) seals (most)..... . Pinion seals (some) , now the steering box ....... That one smells like a DOPAR problem ...... (D=13TH letter in the alphabet) case you didn't know ....... tongue.gif They got some leak'ie boxes....."Steering" ...... Don't get smart ....... I know what your gonna say "NUTTIN BUT" ...... tongue.gif

Now I got to go take a look see .......... Hope it's a Singular thing ....... Let us know ....... My truck up front so far is pretty dry ....... See no remnants of being parked some where anyway .......

MAC :D

[ 05-28-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

kanton1
05-29-2002, 10:19
Yeah, the dealer attempted to install this new bearing for the steering shaft rattle, but I'm not sure if it goes inside the steering box or somewhere else. I will keep an eye on this leak, maybe it was just from them messing with the steering. I really don't want to take it back to the dealer right now. We will wait and see!!

Kyle

windjammer
05-29-2002, 12:16
thanks Kanton1,
please keep us informed. This ##$%# steering rattle is 10 worse than the tick. It seems that if a post is about something other than the juice it gets little attention.