PDA

View Full Version : Noise in Steering

KayCee
05-29-2005, 18:19
I have a 02 D/A with 80,000 kms and recently I have been hearing a loud rubbing sound when turning the steering wheel. This only happens occasionaly and the sound comes and goes rather quickly. The last time we heard this noise it seemed to last a tad longer. The fluid is normal and the belts seem tight.

I do not profess to be much of a mechanic so any suggestions are much appreciated before I run off the the stealer.

jbplock
05-30-2005, 02:18
KayCee,

A few questions to help us focus in on your problem

KayCee
05-30-2005, 10:35
jbplock, thanks for your response,

I have heard the noise when stationary and also when moving very slowly. Nothing so far at normal driving speeds. No clunking felt at any time. The noise does not seem like the shaft rubbing on the firewall boot. I'm struggling to explain the noise and it may be more like a growl than a rubbing noise. Unfortunately I cannot cause the noise to happen as it is stricly a random thing and happens so seldom. I may have the power steering checked or if this gets progressively worse it will become easier to pinpoint.

Thanks again for your input.

jbplock
05-30-2005, 14:40
KayCee,

Try searching the forum for "steering noise". There are several steering noise problems folks have reported. One other possibility is the gear box.

Here is a thread that describes a problem similar to yours..

Steering noise out of warranty (http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=006121)

smile.gif

Chris Todd
05-30-2005, 17:21
I have had the same problem. Turning right I get a very quick sound that is equivalent of a loss of fluid type sound.

I took it to the dealer and was told initially it was a gear problem in the steering. After calling GM tech support, they said it was an insufficient fluid problem and the fix was to install a larger power steering fluid cooler so the power steering system would hold more fluid. This was supposed to fix the problem.

I was told the fix would be at my expense because the truck was out of warranty. I told the tech that it wasn