PDA

View Full Version : Ball Hitches

Lone Eagle
07-22-2002, 17:14
I know a lot of you guys have various types of ball hitches to pull your work trailers. How many of you also pull a camping trailer with them. I am shopping for a new 5th wheel in the 10K weight range. Some of the dealers recommend them and some don't. I have pulled my current 8K Coachmen for three years with my B&W and the trailer looks good where the neck bolts to the trailer frame. Later! Lone Eagle

Southard
07-22-2002, 20:34
I converted my Thor Wanderer 32' toybox to a gooseneck hitch. I built the hitch myself and did extensive gusseting and bracing of the trailer frame. I would be afraid to even guess how long I spent welding on the trailer. I was amazed that the stock hitch and framework were as lightly built as they were.

The only disadvantage that I have noticed is that the trailer pulls with slightly more jerkiness than it did as a 5th wheel. I attribute this to the frame-hitch combination winding up and springing back as I pull the trailer. The problem was much worse when I made my test pulls before I braced the trailer frame. I would not consider just bolting on a conversion coupler on a trailer like mine. The stock framework is not strong enough to handle the added leverage.

Rilo
07-26-2002, 13:24
I pull a 34ft camper with a gooseneck conversion and it works out fine. And I have full use of my bed as I use a popup ball.

[ 07-26-2002: Message edited by: Rilo ]</p>