PDA

View Full Version : Upper control arm ball joint

Hound
07-11-2003, 10:37
Does anyone know if the upper control arm ball joint is available as a single item or do I have to buy the entire upper control arm? I couldn't find any info on the ball joint from gmparstdirect and the service manual only shows complete upper control arm replacement so I suspect that the ball joint is not replaceable.

Thanks

hoot
07-11-2003, 10:52
You gotta get the whole thing,

Hound
07-11-2003, 22:12
Thanks Hoot. I thought that would be the case but figured I should ask before buying the entire assembly. smile.gif

Lone Eagle
07-12-2003, 20:10
Try the major auto parts folks first. How did you manage to wear an upper out? They don't usually wear out. Later! Lone Eagle ;)

Hound
07-12-2003, 22:52
Well, it wasn't wear at all... the boot got damaged and now it will NOT hold grease so I suspect it'll wear out in short order. I should have taken it in as I noticed it was leaking grease out of what appeared to be a small hole when I bought it but time wasn't available. I greased it on Mon and by Fri it was needing it again. :rolleyes:

Lone Eagle
07-13-2003, 22:01
Bummer! It might be cheaper to buy any kind of upper joint to steal the boot. I bet GM knows what they want for the complete "a" arm. Later! Lone Eagle

Burner
07-13-2003, 22:37
I let some "Ya-Hoo's" change the oil and grease my truck. Now I have a "busted" boot on my upper right PS. :mad: I wonder if GM will give me a new part at 16K miles?

Burner------> :D

Hound
07-14-2003, 10:55
I suppose that depends mostly on the dealer Burner, but I would say they should considering they did it and you're at 16K. I noticed mine when the truck was new, but I didn't take it in. I'm a bit past the warranty at this time. In any case the upper control arm assembly appears to go for about 100.00 which isn't as bad as it could be.

Lone Eagle
07-14-2003, 18:56
I guess you know if you change the arm, the front end alignment will need to be checked. Later! Lone Eagle

Hound
07-14-2003, 22:25
Yep, I'm hoping that if I measure everything carefully enough, castor and camber, before the changeout that I'll be close enough for business as long as I can duplicate the measurements as part of the install.

77TransAm
07-16-2003, 07:39
We bought some universal grease boots from NAPA to solve this problem on our trucks - it's much cheaper and easier than changing the whole control arm and seems to work just as well.