PDA

View Full Version : Over Load Springs

Merconvert
07-10-2003, 17:10
Hey Gang,I need Help. I have a 2001cc long bed. It set to High in the rear,for my 5th wheel. I had longer shackles put on. This set the rear tip of the overload on the pad. ROUGH Ride. Has anyone remove the rear pad , Drilled new holes,to give the spring room to flex?? I'm looking for a easy way to get a softer Ride.
Thanks Bob

1968 Merconvert
1929 Ford Townsedan
1984 T Bird Wife's
1980 Cushman Haulster
Hot today 119 in the Sun

mdrag
07-10-2003, 17:40
Merconvert,

I had the same experience after installing the Velvet Ride shackles on my '01. I removed the rear frame contact pads for a while and the ride improved, then put them back on.

I haven't heard of an 'easy' fix yet.

Transferring this topic to the 2500HD/3500 HD Trucks & Drivetrain forum.

Merconvert
07-14-2003, 22:22
Mdrag

I guess you are the only one with a answer.
Nother question?? Did you pull without your rear pads off?? Why did you put them back on?? Still looking for that easy fix. Ha.

Thanks S weet O le B ob

Max Power
07-15-2003, 08:33
What about raising the trailer? Flip the axles. Lots of RVers have to do this.

RVGuy
07-15-2003, 11:41
I have the same issue with the rear of my truck slightly too high. In my case, my 5th wheel axles can not be flipped.

I am also looking for the "easy" fix to this problem. Anyone else have an idea on how the rear can be lowered slightly?

mdrag
07-15-2003, 12:07
Originally posted by Merconvert:
Mdrag

I guess you are the only one with a answer.
Nother question?? Did you pull without your rear pads off?? Why did you put them back on?? Still looking for that easy fix. Ha.

Thanks S weet O le B ob I put the pads back on prior to pulling my enclosed bumper pull trailer. Also, I didn't want to misplace them - one less thing to look for...

mdrag

Merconvert
07-16-2003, 21:34
Thanks Mdrag

Maxpower I already have a Hi profile 5th wheel,
I would have to get a overheight Permit LOL.!

RVGuy
As I stated before I put Longer shackles on my 2001 3500 C C Longbed. That gives me about 6 1/2" between the Rail and underside of the 5th wheel. BUT that makes the overload set on the Rear Frame pads,just enough to Jar your spine. I'm going to try taking them off, back under the 5th and see how low it sinks. !! Also I might just remove and move the pads up to take the spring off the pad empty.

Thanks Guys for your input.
Bob In Hemet,next to H....

chipper
07-17-2003, 09:12
Merconvert,
you could cut the height of the pads in half to give more clearance.

Burner
07-17-2003, 09:22
Can you move the trailer axels back about 6 inches? I was thinking that "more" weight on the system would stop the jarring affect. What about a GoodYear air-ride for the neck? What about just having airbags without the over load springs?

Burner--------> :D

Merconvert
07-17-2003, 19:58
Hey Chipper,Thanks for the info. We were in Bosie the 12th June Came right through Nampa. I thought of moving them up,as a small pry bar will take the overload spring off,the Pad. Thanks

Burnner I can hack the ride loaded,just don't like the empty ride. The D M is my around town car !! Take Care Guiys and Thanks Again

Bob

Burner
07-17-2003, 21:49
Soft ride "unloaded" truck. Hummmm... What about replacing the "spring set" with a low arc thin multi-leaf set? That might cure your rough ride. The thinner top leaf would have less resistance in the initial travel. However, the multi-leaf will "set" higher when loaded. Just a thought.

:D Have a great weekend

Burner-------> :D