PDA

View Full Version : 3500 Owners re: Dually spacing

CanadaKev
05-21-2002, 16:24
Has anyone tried to put a spacer between the duals or put on a modified set of wheels? We are really limited as far as increased tire size by the spacing between the duals.
Kevin

mackin
05-21-2002, 16:56
CanadaKev

We sure are ......... It is not recommended but ..........==>
http://4wheeldrive.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.correctrack.com% 2Fmodels.html
This is what you want ... Spacers that have there own set of additional studs ......... Now I got a number to a different place.... About $180 a set, or about ......... Finally, Finally, to infinity. I got lug nuts and hopefully the time to put my new tires and wheels on tomorrow ..... As pictured in my DA/PICS ..... I'll post the new ones as soon as I get them on . I'll be running 235/85's ........ Not much space in between ....... I'm going to try it first before I get spacers ...... They have changed the offset on the new trucks. Trust me I know now ...... Got one of those old rims stuck on my rear calipers ....... Sweat and an hour later I got it off ....... Delay again ....... Got another rim . Do you think the dealers going to catch on, when I go for a demo ride, it comes back, minus a spare ? .......

MAC :D

[ 05-21-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

CanadaKev
05-21-2002, 17:11
mackin,
disregard my reply in the accessories post re: 235's on a duelly. You just answered my question. Thanks for the info. Are you pulling a heavy trailer. I'm a little concerned about your tires touching under load, and it will create heat. Ba-boom!! I think your going to need the spacers. Just my opinion.
Kev

mackin
05-21-2002, 17:31
No, I don't . But a descent payload ........ You only need about an inch or so ,I'm told . You'll have to air up when towing for sure ...... My buddy runs 235/75 no problems ......... Tows a big OLE boat ....... Air up your 215's., Do you get a big squat with your trailer? I'll give it a shot see, if I need spacers I'll get them. Was a little concerned about them sticking out past the wheel well tub ...... That's why I haven't got them hanging around yet ..... I want to mount them up and evaluate .......
MAC smile.gif

[ 05-21-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

CanadaKev
05-21-2002, 23:37
Mackin, With the cattle trailer loaded (Approx. 7000 lbs on the hitch) I get a pretty good squat, about 1/2" between the tires. Going over rough roads and with cows movin' around and such I probably get some intermitent touching now. I can't believe the leaf springs GM puts on these things now. It takes it like nothin'. On my '99 3500 I had to install air bags.

NickLeinonen
05-22-2002, 04:29
how much different is the offset on these new dual wheels and the older duals? could you possably run the new design as the inner and the old design as the outer? would that give you any extra clearence between the wheels?

mackin
05-22-2002, 05:22
NickLeinonen ,

Believe it, you can visually see it, with rims laying dish up ..... I do not have proper measuring device, but "STANLEY" tells me a Quarter inch or better .......More than enough to get hung up on caliper, get cocked and hang up on axle hub ........ Mister I'll tell you, aint no picnic getting it off ........... Didn't have an industrial 3 arm puller on a Sunday afternoon ....... SOB ....... Just some luck, and a big HAMMER .........
What my plan is , is to have six on six off ....... Run stockers in the winter ...... Polished Alum. balance of year ...... If your were to get inner rear polished ,I'm sure the would be fine given you bought to the new spec ...... I couldn't see spending additional money on polished inside rears ........ I'm using my spare (useless with 235/85 anyway ) and my buddy gave me his spare ....... Who is going to run 235/75 .. Which will render his spare useless too ......

[ 05-22-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

IndigoDually
05-22-2002, 06:33
Mackin, Did you get the e-mail that I sent? I guess that we are on the same page just never communicated abiut it. I would like to know about any other spacers that you have found $350 is a little pricey but you get what you pay for, and I don't like to screw around with what holds on my rear wheels. I like the correctrack style so if some outside studs break the inside is firmly attached(I had medium duty trucks with the separate studs and nuts) and I think that this way is much better than putting on longer studs and a loose spacer.

Oh well there's always fender washers (just kiddin')

John

mackin
05-22-2002, 12:54
IndigoDually,

Ya I did . Finally had a break to respond ...... Going out right now ..... 3pm EST .... Got a cold beer ......... It's tire changing time ......