PDA

View Full Version : Gray market autos

More Power
05-21-2002, 12:09
Chrysler corporation announced today that it will no longer honor warranty coverage on "gray market" vehicles. A gray market vehicle is one that is manufactured for the Canadian market, brought across the US border by a third party, then sold on a used car lot for sometimes thousands of dollars below sticker.

GM and Ford are reportedly watching Chrysler's move and are expected to follow suit.

There has been a huge market for Canadian Duramax trucks here in the US. This move by Chrysler should be watched if you're considering a gray market truck. And, always ask for (and get in writing) the country of origin for any used truck you might consider in the future.

MP

[ 05-21-2002: Message edited by: More Power ]</p>

hoot
05-21-2002, 14:27
Thanks for the heads up MP.

If it's brand new, how can they go through all that trouble then sell it for so much less?

AlaskaDmax
05-21-2002, 15:47
The Canadian trucks are considerably cheaper than the U.S. trucks (-$10K)....why? GREED.

There is a dealer here in Anchorage that works like this...

They have Canadian "agents" that will buy trucks / cars in Canada, title them, then bring them to Seattle & auction them off to dealers here in the states.

The U.S. dealer will pick them up for a couple $k over the cost to the "agent"...

U.S. dealer sells for $2-$3K over that and is still $5-$6K under the cost of "brand new" from car dealership.

The truck is considered "used" because it was titled once....normally has only 100 miles on it.

Otherwise U.S. / Canadian law has other more stringent controls in place to prevent a U.S. citizen from going across the border to buy a truck.

If you go to chevy.com and price out a truck, then go to chevycanada.com and price out a truck you will be amazed at the difference. DON'T forget the exchange rate!!!!

I did it last October and the truck I wanted was like $41k U.S. and $56K Can---exchange rate came out to like $32K U.S. FOR THE EXACT SAME TRUCK!!!

So with the expanding "gray market" the U.S. dealers are getting p*ssed off and are putting pressure on the big dogs to hurt US so we don't get a better deal.

:mad:

CanadaKev
05-21-2002, 16:14
This is what I've heard from our dealers up here in Canuck Land. GM made an agreement years ago that the exchange rate on new vehicles to Canadian Dealers would not exceed 17%. The current exchange rate is closer to 37%. So as Canadians we can actually buy the trucks cheaper than our friends to the south, But don't hold that against us. When we buy a new vehicle from a dealer up here we usually have to sign a "letter of intent" or some such thing, that we are not going to take the vehicle down across the line to sell. The dealers up here have a long list of offenders that they are not to sell vehicles to. If they do they can be charged. I hope I'm not spouting off about something you already know. Kevin

AlaskaDmax
05-21-2002, 16:27
Man, we wouldn't hold anything against you guys down there in Canada!!!
:D
The U.S. is lucky to have you guys as neighbors!!! :D

Even though when it comes to fishing we both act like children, that is life.

I drove from Central Florida to Alaska back in 1994....the best memories of the trip are from Canada, met some damn fine french people on a farm when I got lost, they fed me and my family lunch and then sent us on our way...damn fine.
Your soda tastes like crap though and I had a NASTY burger in Calgary...but you guys are OK in my book. :D :D :D

CanadaKev
05-21-2002, 16:49
AlaskaDmax, You should be drinkin' moo-juice! You Know, "support the Dairy Farmers and all". That soda(or 'pop' as we Canadians call it) will send you to an early grave! It's pure "poison in a can"! Hope there's no Dmax owners that are supported by coke or pepsi ;)
Kevin

AlaskaDmax
05-21-2002, 17:24
Oh yeah, BTW...

You all have some OUTSTANDING beer, almost as good as our ALASKA brews!!!! :D :D :D

Man, N.S., we know how to make some beer up here.

I dread leaving the state and not being able to have this beer at my whim and fancy.

Has anybody out there tried any Alaskan beer?

WWWHHHHEEEEEEWWWWWWW BABY!!!! :D :D :eek:

AKDmax
05-21-2002, 21:36
AlaskaDmax,
We're havin a heat wave up here (82 degrees). Makes the Alaskan Amber go down SMOOTH!!! Any fish in down there yet? Oh ya, I'm lookin for a set of J&J running boards, seen any in the truck shops in Anchorage? Thanks

IndigoDually
05-22-2002, 06:38
AlaskaDmax, might that burger you had been Equine by chance? That's why we use them for glue (oops almost used the French spelling "gleu") :D

John

AlaskaDmax
05-23-2002, 12:55
AKDmax,

We had some darned hot temps for a week down here too...it has cooled off big time though, clouds rolled in and the temp dropped. I have not been doing too much shopping for truck stuff lately so I do not know about the running boards...I did replace the mud flaps last week because the ones I had were still allowing the mud and crap to be slung up the doors and mirrors...new ones are sweet...I will have to take some pictures.
The fishing is just getting started in Ship Creek...the KINGS are arriving!!!!

For you non-Alaskan types the King Salmon is the biggest salmon and it is not uncommon to pull a 50 pounder out of knee deep water.

IndigoDually,

Might have been horse, hell I will try everything once...ate black bear tongue last spring...long story, much beer involved...cut it right off the skull!! :D :D :D

obb
05-26-2002, 16:20
So as of now are the warranties good on these trucks in the states...??????

vince
05-26-2002, 19:51
Hi to all from the Yukon, especially all you Alaska Dmaxers. Beautiful weekend here, no clouds,
temps about high 70's F.

When I bought my Dmax in Edmonton the Sales Guy was concerned I was paying cash. I had to sign a paper stating I wouldn't sell it in the States for six months.

To all my American friends, Happy Memorial Weekend and "Perseverance" the motto of my Regiment, Lord Srathcona's Horse.

Vince

mark45678
05-26-2002, 20:25
good heads up on the gray market trucks !!! I was trying to figure out why a local dealer was trying to push a CD model ...they had like 6 of them on the lot all with less them 100 miles! I just didnt seem right so I backed off and found a dealer that wasnt full of sh*t and was will to sell! by the way for all you guys the dealer is on RT 85 in hudson ma just off 495......I have one dealing with them on a 99 C6500 and that wasnt a good one . :mad:

Redhawk
05-27-2002, 13:07
AlaskaDmax, send down a case of your favorite beer and I'll let you know how it stacks up to our local Boonville beer--free of charge.