PDA

View Full Version : Range Shift Inhibited message

DuramaxDicko
07-07-2003, 18:21
got this message on the DIC today. Came off freeway and got to the 2nd light (about 2000ft)and stopped at the light, car in front made the right hand turn, I stepped on gas pedal (excuse me, the fuel padal) and nothing, no moving at all. My buddy got the owners manual out and it said to try to put in park or neutral and re-select gear. Still no go. Called On Star, they did a diag and said all is well. On Start called mechanic at dealership that I bought truck at and he said it needs to be towed in. On Star called a towing company and I let them know to send flatbed. they came out and it is now at the dealerhip. They don't know what it is at this point... no other codes on the DIC.
Gave me a rental (brand new <5 miles> Tahoe to use and they will call me on Tuesday.

Anyone have this problem?
What was the fix?
Sure hope it is something simple, I really don't want them pulling the Allison.
Dang... 3 weeks old today!!! :eek:

DuramaxDicko
07-09-2003, 17:55
got a call from the dealer this afternoon, they were told by allison that the tranny MUST be replaced. Allison said there is a KNOWN problem, now why the *ell was this or any other truck sold with a known problem. I let the dealer know I was not happy (not with dealship, they are cool) about the tranny being replaced.
I asked what is the protocol about GM doing something about this... the truck has less then 650 miles on it.
he said to call GM at 800-GMC-Truck and make a claim... they did not give any more info then that.
Anyone able to give me info on this, how can I go about getting something like the extra $1000 rebate they are offering and a 7YR warranty.... not looking for a new truck... had to wait 8 weeks for this one and they are not making '03 any longer.
please give me your feedback or comments.
thanks
Dick

FirstDiesel
07-10-2003, 04:42
Allison said there is a KNOWN problem, now why the *ell was this or any other truck sold with a known problem. This can be read in 2 ways. You assume that they meant that they know that there is this problem in all the trannys and are selling the trucks with it anyway,

It could also mean that they have seen this particular failure before and know what it is and know they want to just replace the tranny to fix it.

Should you have any failure in 650 miles?? No. But sometimes it happens.