PDA

View Full Version : oil in i/c

d.h.
12-31-2003, 18:47
I was checking for a leaky oil cooler line and to inspect properly removed my i/c to get a good look. The hot(turbo side)hose leaked a lot of oil out when I removed it. Oil seems to be going through the I/c.With the turbo turned to that 90deg angle I know some oil will get in there. How much is that valve supposed to let in? I,m going to relpace oil cooler lines now as both are leaking.One wouldn,t want to do this very often!The engine has been running great and usually goes through a litre between services.Any thoughts would be appreciated Thanks
Dave
-----------------------------------
98c/c l/b 4x4 dually
6.5t.d i/c,guages,boost,4in straight,boch h/f

britannic
12-31-2003, 19:12
The CDR valve ensures that oil vapor is fed into the intake to keep the inlet valves lightly oiled - sounds normal.

d.h.
12-31-2003, 22:41
I understand a certain amount of oil will pass through to i/c but what i,m curious of is how much is normal? I was also wondering how factory oil lines compare to oem style. I haven,t been able to do much research as time is a factor soI,m hoping somebody will jump in here... Thanks
Dave
-------------------------------------
98c/c l/b 4x4 dually all the tweeks
P.s Is there a way to keep truck info on without retyping all the time?

gmctd
01-01-2004, 08:15
The CDR is a PCV system for Diesels - all oil vapors will draw thru turbo. Condensation when cool is normal, quantity depends on condition of engine, and power usage - hot oil vaporizes.
Higher EGT's mean more vapor, where engine oil lubricates turbo.
Unless we're talking a quart a month, what you're seeing is normal, since the charge air cooler is a big condensor, inlet\outlet being all downhill from the source. Solids will precipitate as air charge is cooled.

List your truck specs in your Member Profile Signature - will display at each post.

45acp
01-02-2004, 13:42
you may in fact need to replace the CDR. mine has been depositing what i would consider "slightly excessive" amounts for the last 6 months. last week it went from "slightly excessive" to "ubsurd". replaced it last week and cleaned all of the intake tubing along with the plenum. dealer only part and was $75.

d.h.
01-02-2004, 17:44
Thanks for replies as that is what I was wondering.I wasn,t sure as to the amount of oil that goes through the cdr. I know some will go through as gravity has advantage.I was just a little surprised by the amount.I don,t think it,s a lot volume wise,just more than I expected.Thanks

triggerman
01-04-2004, 10:51
The new CI-4 Diesel oil rateing is supposed to get a handle on excesive vaporing of the oil. Also, full synthetic has reportedly (TDIclub.com) had good results in reduceing this problem.

phughes69
01-05-2004, 09:59
Is it really necessary to have the CDR there? Can it be replaced with a valve cover breather (like a K & N) and vented to the atmosphere. I know in a high performance car and most cars it is better to vent the oil vapors to atmosphere to reduce the chance of detonation, but does the same apply to a diesel?

gmctd
01-05-2004, 10:19
CDR allows the crankcase to operate under a low vacuum, around 5"wc.
This results in a slightly positive pressure on the outside of the seals and gaskets, preventing oil leaks.
27"wc = 1psi
Diesel fuel is a light oil, so some additional vapor from the crankcase doesn't hurt the combustion process.

d.h.
01-05-2004, 19:49
This valve is needed to oil the turbo is it not?I run shaffers synthetic oil in engine but not sure how this would effect amount of oil going though valve as was commented previosly I,m not sold on sythetic yet as its fairly new to me.

gmctd
01-05-2004, 20:51
The turbo is lubricated, via that nice stainless flex hose from the camshaft gallery, with engine oil, at engine oil pressure.

The CDR is a PCV system for Diesels - large diameter is to compensate for minimal vacuum developed in the Diesel intake.
Typically less than 10"wc, it's not enough to actuate a PCV valve.

Synthetic oil vapor will not harm combustion process, in minimal quantities created by well-functioning engine - meaning, an engine not worn plumb slap out.
Either type oil vapor will cause problems in a highly worn engine.