PDA

View Full Version : Any 6.5 Non-Turbo Owners Out There?

joed
12-31-2003, 12:33
I'm thinking of looking at an advertised 94 C1500 1/2 ton, 2wd with a 6.5 na as a commuter-type truck. The truck is located a ways away, so I haven't seen the truck yet. I'm trying to gather some info ahead of time to see if it's worth pursuing.

1. What injection pump would it have? I'm wondering if the non-turbo would still be electronically controlled?

2. What automatic trans. would it have? 4L60 or 4L80?

3. Has anyone turboed this engine using a GM-X turbo setup? Would an upper intake manifold from a turbo 6.5 bolt directly to the existing intake manifold or would you need both an upper and lower 6.5 TD manifold?

4. What kind of MPGs does the truck typically give?

Thanks in advance. Joe.

whatnot
12-31-2003, 15:17
Unless it was originally sold in Mexico or something, I think that either the year is wrong or it does have a turbo.
I would get the eighth and tenth numbers of vin to figure out what it is for sure first.

Bobbie Martin
12-31-2003, 16:24
GM did make some 6.5 atmospheric diesel pickups. The 8th digit in the VIN will tell you what engine was fitted from the factory. The most likely is a "P", a non turbo electronic pump and should have a 4L60E. If the VIN is a "Y", then its a non turbo with a DB2 mechanical pump, most likely a 5088 pump and should have a 4L80E. An "S" or "F" VIN should have a turbo, so that would mean someone changed the engine or removed the turbo for some reason.
The mechanical parts of the turbo should be no problem. If it's an electric pump I would think getting the electronics to work with the turbo setup might be a problem. If it's the DB2, all you would need is a Turbo Master and to turn the pump up a bit.

catmandoo
12-31-2003, 21:14
my 92 1/2 2wd ext cab was a 6.2 and when it scored a piston the dealer at the time only had a 6.5 thats what it got.and until about sept it was n/a and i got a best of a little over 27 mpg and with the banks turbo on a factory exhaust manifold it runs a steady 24-25 mpg the milage loss was well worth the power from hell

joed
01-07-2004, 07:55
Thanks for the info. I still haven't made it down to look at the truck yet, but I did find out it's an electronic pump, vin P.

Kind of a bummer, as turboing won't be easy. My thought would be to use an upper and lower intake manifold (non EGR) from a turbo vin F truck. The main concern would then be how to get rid of the EGR/EPR setup, because the computer would be looking for them.

Can the EGR line just be plugged or would it require re-programming?

Also, would the fuel rate of the NA pump be enough for the turbo? I'm not looking for huge performance - just some improved acceleration and perhaps even better fuel economy than the na setup.

And last, if the fuel rate needed to be increased, could a performance chip for the vin F trucks be utilized/tailored to work in the trucks existing computer?

Again, your thoughts are greatly appreciated. Joe.