PDA

View Full Version : Weird Brake Issue - Need Help

DonG
07-05-2003, 11:06
My truck has about 8000 miles on it and I am 1500 miles from home headed East towing a fifth wheel.

Experencing no problems until I turned off the truck at a Rest Area. When I started up in about 15 minutes, I received ABS Light, Brakes light, and SERVICE BRAKES Message, along with loud ringing chimes. I shut off the truck and restarted in one minute, everything normal. The brakes felt fine.

This exact scene repeated itself about 2 hours later. Temperature in Wyoming on I-80 was mid 90's that day. No other problems that day.

The next day when I stopped for a food break same problem, but it would not clear when shut off and restarted. Opened the hood let engine compartment cool for 20 minutes. Restarted without alarms or any problems. This was also repeated again later.

(By the way, fluid levels are normal and no leaks can be seen anywhere).

Finally found a service dealer in Cheyenne that would take us in. They found several codes with the ABS system and after talking to GM Tech, they made some changes to the ground connections for the ABS, reloaded the "program" and I was on my way.

Two days later in Junction City, Kansas where the heat was 102*F, the same thing has happened.

I think it is heat related. The brakes seem to work fine. I have never driven it with the alarms on, but getting the alarms and trying to clear them is nerve wracking.

Suggestions PLEASE.

Don

raygreg
07-06-2003, 08:34
If your regular brakes are working, you could try pulling the fuse for the antilock brake system. That might get the alarm to stop. This is just a suggestion as I have never tried this myself.