PDA

View Full Version : Usable capacity, short bed fuel tank?

K1XV
07-05-2003, 07:46
Yesterday I ran down the fuel to the point where the DIC "Range" message said "low". (I know this is a bad idea and I have never done it before) It took 24.3 gallons to fill the tank.

How close was I to running out? Just wondering.

rtquig
07-05-2003, 08:39
If I'm not mistaken, I believe the short bed has a 26 gallon tank.

Burner
07-05-2003, 12:23
If you use the "neck" as part of the fuel tank then I'd say ya had 2.7 gallons.

Burner------> :D

LA DMAX
07-05-2003, 16:19
I'd agree with Burner. If you use the neck you get an extra gallon over the 26 gal. tank. Believe me, I've put 26.5 gallons on a fillup not to long ago. Was I scared? Yup, will try not to do it again, I was just trying to make it to my usual station.
Later

LA DMAX

K1XV
07-05-2003, 16:39
I guess I had about a gallon and a half to go. I also wanted to get back to my usual station. Funny, in that last 5 miles I kept on imagining noises and engine misses, but they were just in my imagination.

sdaver
07-06-2003, 19:29
ran out today the motor did not quit but when I stepped on it there was a very noticeable reduction in performance......... large gforce very low fuel big gulp of air............filled and bled took 25.6 gallons.......wont do that again :D dave

NWDmax
07-06-2003, 19:46
sdaver:How long was your wif on?

sdaver
07-06-2003, 20:40
low fuel lite maybe?..........for about 25 miles

DieselDixon
07-06-2003, 22:14
That's why I got the long bed...

JimWilson
07-07-2003, 16:11
Mine goes on when there's about 1 gallon left, so if I don't find a station fast (like within 10 miles :D ) I'm toast. Personally, I wish GM had the light go on with 3 gallons left. With the mileage as bad as it is at least that way I'd get a decent warning.

Tsckey
07-07-2003, 19:42
Last December, I decided to go ahead and stretch the run from Grand Junction, CO to Ely, NV on one tank. It was very dark and very cold when the low fuel warning light came on about 15 miles outside Ely. By the time we arrived at a filling station my pucker strings were drawn up so tight it took surgery to resort my bodily functions ... and 26.7 gallons of #2. Truck never burped or f--ted. I didn't realize you could run on diesel fumes. Guess so.

TC

LA DMAX
07-07-2003, 20:18
Jim,
Maybe there is a sensor problem. When my light comes on I can easily make 30-40 miles, which would be 2-3 gallons. Then again if you live on a hill, like I do, that could be skewed depending if you are pointing up hill(light comes on later) or down hill(light comes on earlier). Any hoo, just don't let it run out fuel. I'd hate to be priming in 100 degree heat. Later

LA DMAX

sdaver
07-07-2003, 21:26
I have noticed that if you stop and shut off your truck with the fuellite on it might not reappear imediately after restrarting thus leading you into false sense of fuel..... :D dave

NWDmax
07-07-2003, 22:05
Ya ya I meant low fuel light.
Know what you are talking about on the false sense of fuel.
About ran out last year and now keep the top half full! smile.gif

ChevysRus
07-07-2003, 23:22
Tanks have a 10% over capacity for fuel expansion. If you fill up slowly and keep on filling after burping and stop when you can see the level in the filler tube stay steady then you have "Filled" most of the 10% space left for expansion and get an extra 2+ gallons over capacity of 26 gallons, Same for all tanks including the Transfer Flow 45 gallon tank. This is why some are getting close or just over the 26 gallon capacity. The real number is the "draw", how many gallons are unusable and are left in the tank when the engine starves and quits. I have not found out exactly what that number is, but it should be about 1-2 gallons in the 26 gallon tank, so those who are filling up with 26+ gallons must have blown into the station with a strong tailwind! ha ha ha

The "problem" with filling up into the neck and using the 10% expansion capacity means there is no place for excess fuel from expansion to go except out the cap under pressure. This kind of pressure and leaking fuel can cause other problems. If you fill up this way and keep driving then the fuel is consumed and no problem with expansion. If you fill up this way and park the truck in the sun for 8 hours you might come out to a big mess or worse.

The low fuel light is suppose to be set to show 10% fuel remaining based on float location. All floats are not created equal unfortunately and there can be a varience. The usual 20-40 miles left when the low fuel light comes on can't be cast in concrete as it depends on your mileage on that tank and the kind of driving you have been doing.

I got tired of trying to keep track of all this stuff and had the Transfer Flow 45 gallon tank installed. Now I don't have to get out my slide rule until 700+ miles when the light comes on, same old problem, just takes longer to get there LOL :D

[ 07-07-2003, 11:28 PM: Message edited by: ChevysRus ]