PDA

View Full Version : popping sound-driveshaft?

billfarmer
12-15-2002, 09:07
I am hearing a sound almost like popping from under the truck. It is just a year old 02 and not sure if it could be the driveshaft or something on a bind? I dont know which driveshaft it has or if that could even be the problem

Rebel_Horseman
12-16-2002, 07:02
Bill:

Can you describe the popping sound you are hearing? I've been hearing a popping from my truck as well and have got several possibilities. The dealership has a new slip yolk on order for me, new u-joints, and sound isolators on the overload springs. All of these could be causes of popping.

Reb [><]

billfarmer
12-18-2002, 13:35
I think mine is in the rear of the truck someplace. wondering if I have a dry u joint even. I dont think it is springs, had a superduty with front springs that drove me nuts and it was different.

Rebel_Horseman
12-18-2002, 15:43
More than likely it's a u-joint. Unfortunately, the boneheads that designed these trucks didn't think to put a greasable u-joint back there.

Reb [><]

JEBar
12-18-2002, 17:04
billfarmer .... type of truck you own is not shown .. I have an '02 3500 CC Dmax/Allison ... mine has two drive shaft, had a sound similiar to an old U-joint going bad, dealer found the joint of my two shafts wasn't sufficiently lubricated, has put grease in it twice and haven't had a problem with it in a while .... Jim