PDA

View Full Version : Excessive Wheel Hop

DieselsRule
05-16-2002, 21:37
Took the day off and drove down to the shore to my vacation house. The roads are packed/loose sand and the driveway is 3/4 round packed pebbles. I had a helluva time trying not to bury the truck while pulling in and out of the driveway and just driving around. It seemed no matter how slow I release the clutch in either Reverse 2nd or 3rd all the rear wants to do is bounce. I looked at the road and the hops were 4-6 inches apart as it looked like dozer tracks Outside of putting a load in the bed any suggestions. Sort of makes me wonder if I'll be able to put it up on the beach this fall to fish with w/o worrying about getting stuck. Will check the air pressure but I did not have a gauge with me.

hickcox
05-16-2002, 21:49
I have the same problem when I visit my parents house their driveway is the same stuff, just put it in four wheel high. It works for me, but I have an allison automatic.

DSLPOWR
05-16-2002, 23:30
Definitly lower your air pressure, that will help in a huge way.

MaxRock
05-17-2002, 09:50
These heavy diesel engines and the torque they develop do not make for a good combination for sand or mud. I have a friend with a CC/LB/4WD F&$d diesel and he said it is the worst 4WD for going off road because of the weight in the front.

MaxRock

DaveRuane
05-17-2002, 11:13
Also check out this product. I have one and it seems to help although I haven't checked in sand. Neatlooking thing if anything... www.activesuspension.com

[ 05-17-2002: Message edited by: DaveRuane ]</p>

JLee
05-17-2002, 11:22
Speaking of air pressure - what pressure are you guys running in your 2500 HD extend cab's - empty. I notice some wheel hop just accelerating around a bumpy corner (on pavement) and our "wonderful" Denver streets near knock your teeth out :eek: Well, maybe not quite, but its pretty rough.

Jim

DieselsRule
05-17-2002, 12:46
I did not have this problem with my 96 6.5 Ext Cab Short Bed. It was a 1500 Series and had every option. Both trucks have the limited slip diffs in them. This is not what I would call serious off-roading by any means. I have seen plenty of Diesel 4x4's with full campers shells on them down at Island Beach State Park which is the same sand as my beach.

Colorado Kid
05-17-2002, 15:04
JLee,

I run 50# front and rear empty, that takes the edge off of the bumps. Just don't forget to pump them back up when you hook up that 5th Wheel. ;)

Also thanks for saying "Denver streets" instead of Colorado Highways. :D

3176CATPOWER
05-17-2002, 20:50
My rearend hops real bad if I spin the tires on grass,even at low power such as on a incline.My 2001 K-2500 reg. duty,same gears,locker, tires,wheel base never did it and I spun the tires on both in the same spot.Four wheel drive cures it,but is it the torque that causes it,poor shocks or something else ?

mark45678
05-17-2002, 21:52
one point the rest of you may or may-not agree on is the rear shocks are JUNK right out of the box on these truck. they are way to soft for the heavy leaf springs these truck have!this just adds to the wheel hop problem,there isnt enough rebound dampening.

JLee
05-18-2002, 06:50
Colorado Kid - wouldn't want to upset CDOT :D