PDA

View Full Version : Question on ATS tranny upgrade

7mmSTW
05-15-2002, 21:30
After looking at the information on the tranny upgrades for the Allison that are listed on the ATS site - www.atsdiesel.com - my question is this: How much will the stock TC take? The only advantage I see with the Triple lock is the holding power. We already have the control over lockup w/ the tow/haul button. Is there any need to change the TC or does most of the advantage lie in the valve body itself? I don't really know how the stock TC is made or how much it is designed to handle. There would be a BIG difference in cost if you didn't have to change out the TC while upgrading the tranny.

Later

Seven

stretch
05-19-2002, 06:27
You asked the question I was wondering about. When folks here wuth modified Dmax's say it slips in 5th, is it the clutch pack or is it the convertor ??? How do you know ??? Inquiring minds want to know !!! I would consider doing the valvebody only (pricey but do-able). But the convertor is a bit much and very labor intensive especially with 4 wheel drive. My take on it so far is the valvebody is probably sufficient for performance use but I would think if you are upping the power factor for towing, the convertor may be in order. What happened to SteveO, wasn't he and Big Al the resident Allison pros. Come out come out whereevre you are......... smile.gif

mackin
05-21-2002, 20:58
stretch,

From what I understand it is 5TH gear clutches ... Which JK points out is also used for 3RD he believes ......... Man I'll tell you if I had the change laying around I'd do it ........ Just spending to much all at ones ....... Slowing down a bit ....... Targeting next year ....... Once I do that I'll be "GRILLING"... Oh how I'd love to get it done before the Dyno gets set up at JANNETTY'S ....... I'm gonna need a sponsor real soon ......... Got to get me some of those door magnets ......... :D :D Drivers door, in the lime light introductory price a mear $650. Passenger $450, Hood is open for bidding ,,,,,,,, Tailgate sold ....... I'm going after EDGE for that "JUICE" sweet spot ...... LOL
Small stick'ons ....... $100 each ............Under 4" ......... John K I'll give you a free one for the BS I give ya .........
For the right amount of $$$$$$$$$$$ I'll put a The Diesel Page. Com on it .... HE HEEE HEEEEEEE tongue.gif
MAC :D

You know I'm kidding right ? Sounds good although ........

[ 05-21-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

7mmSTW
05-22-2002, 01:07
So if it's not the TC, then wouldn't most people be able to get away with not dropping the 1200 or so on the triple lock and the 300 on the controller. The Ally already has lock to lock shifting from 2nd gear up if I remember right. How many horses will the stock TC hold?

Later

Seven

mrwolf
05-23-2002, 10:46
Before buying the upgraded ATS valvebody for the Allison ask to see some actual dyno torque data comparing a stock V/B to thier modified version.

This goes for the torque converter as well

stretch
05-24-2002, 03:38
I'll second that!!! We need proof and some "beta" testers. If ATS really wants to make a splash, they should donate a valvebody to John Kennedy to test with his 376hp/821ftlbs torque. Jim Bigley would be another quality candidate for the valvebody and the torque convertor for his project truck. If those guys like it, I might open my wallet a little more readily.

mackin
05-24-2002, 03:48
stretch,

I totally agree ........... I to would hate to be Misguided . One thing to there credit, they,ATS,have done some wonderful things for Dodge's auto ...... Those of you if your members at the TDR, and if you received the latest issue of the REGISTER, has some great info there ...... I think, if I get a chance will start a thread on that site on the ATS, to get some feed back from the MOPAR guys ........

MAC :D

[ 05-24-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>