PDA

View Full Version : Touch up paint for Light Pewter - Matching Problems

chuntag95
06-30-2003, 08:12
I have a light pewter truck and got my touchup paint sent like most others. The problem is it doesn't match worth a darn! :mad: It always looks too light. Has anyone else had this problem or more importantly, found a way to fix it? :confused:

Went yesterday to get a load of edging stones to replace the rotten landscape timbers I hauled off Saturday. Finally got them to the truck and was loading when an employee came to help. First thing this idiot did was put 4 bricks on the edge of my bed and scratch it to the metal. :eek: :mad: I told him "Do not do that again, you are scratching my paint." The wife started telling him how particular I was about my truck. I was about ready to punch the guy. He just came over to gawk at the wife anyway. :rolleyes:

rtquig
06-30-2003, 08:20
chuntag95: I'm the same way about getting scratches in my truck, even though their in the bed. I need to get some touch up paint, where did you get yours from. I put Wet Okole seats in the front and they don't allow the seat belt to go back in fast enough when they are unlatched, and because of this I have a few small scrathces on the doors.

chuntag95
06-30-2003, 09:26
The general actually sent me a small bottle about 3 months after I bought the truck. I have found that buying touchup paint is a "go to the dealer" item. I have never got a match from the auto parts stores like the dealer paint. This color is the worst at matching I have ever had. I have tried applying in different directions, one stroke applications, etc. without much success. I have a few light dots and stripes where I have had to do touchups. I gues in another 8 to 10 years, I'll just get it painted again.

sonofagun
06-30-2003, 09:46
The best fix isn't always the most expensive but in this case I believe it is. Go to a good auto paint shop and have them make you up their minimum quantity. If you can wait a bit they can hold some from a new job on the same color and save you some $$. It always matches.

DinoMax
06-30-2003, 10:28
chuntag95, your touchup paint is probably OK, but your missing 2 steps to get a good match. If scratches were all the way down to bare metal, you will nees a primer coat first. After that dries, add touch up color. Usually needs at least 2 coats of color, and be sure to let dry completely between coats. Finally, a coat of clear needs to be put on for color to match. Even though they are small scratches, you have to go through the same 3 steps as if you were repainting a large section at a paint/body shop, especially w/the metallic colors. The primer and clear coat are both available in small touch up bottles at most parts stores. Hope this helps, DinoMax

chuntag95
06-30-2003, 13:21
DinoMax,
The clear coat will make it look darker and match? Do you think I need to wet sand before the clear coat? I'll try it if you can point me in the right direction.

Jack's Dmax
06-30-2003, 16:03
chuntag95,

This is just a suggestion, but have you considered having the tail gate covered with Linex or similiar product? It would look great and you would not have to worry about having to re-paint it in the future.

Jack

oyazi
06-30-2003, 18:56
Some yrs back I stopped off at a Auto Body & Paint shop ~ Arnolds Bump Shop I believe to pickup some matching paint for the future. The snots response was "Do I look like a paint shop?"

XLR8 2 DMAX
06-30-2003, 20:05
I also have a light pewter truck. I purchased some touch up paint at Pep Boys. It is a full size can of spray paint(11 oz) made by Plasti Kote. I also purchased a can of clear coat. I have not tried it on truck yet, but I painted the bottom of a coke can and held it up to truck and the match was perfect. The color code for the paint was 1600 and 1502 for the clear coat. The cost was $5.00 a can.

chuntag95
07-01-2003, 08:02
I can run by Pep Boys and see what they have. I ordered a touch up kit from Eastwood yesterday. I find paint and body a slow and painful ordeal. I can do it, it just isn't quick.
I will try putting a little clear coat on the other spots I have done and see if that darken and match. I would expect the stuff from the general would match their truck, so maybe the clearcoat is the missing item.
I found a place on the web that you can order paint per the GM code with primer and clear coat. I am considering that option as well. I guess with all things, I just need to take my time and it will work out.

Professor
07-01-2003, 09:28
A better, although a bit more money, is to go to paint supply and get a custom match. Better equipped supply stores have scan capabilities ( ie: Dupont Chromasystem is one I believe) to custom match your paint. Even some of the O

DinoMax
07-01-2003, 09:34
chuntag95, I do not think it is necessary to wet sand after application for such a small area. The clearcoat will change the finshed color, but I would put the primer coat down first. That will give it a neutral base. Trying to get it to match on top of bare metal will not work. If you use the 3 step process, it should be a real close match. It's really tough on metallic colors, though. Different batches mixed at different times usually have a little variance in metallic content. Hope you get to match, DinoMax

LA DMAX
07-03-2003, 19:32
I know it might be a rip off but go to the dealer or an automotive paint supplier to get it matched. Reason is I have a friend with a 2002 pewter Chevy and his paint is lighter than my 2002 pewter GMC. We both ordered pewter but his is a noticable shade lighter. Figure that one out, they're both GM vehicles, same color, mine is about 5 months older. I fear that an auto parts store may carry paint that is more a generic color and not specific. I went to the dealer for my touch up bottle, I think it was like $5-6. Hope it helps.
Later

LA DMAX

chuntag95
07-04-2003, 14:32
I'll try the GM stuff I have with a base of primer and clear coat. Hopefully that will look okay. Thanks for the info.

cowboywildbill
07-10-2003, 17:20
I bought the GM pewter spray paint in cans at Wal Mart in the automotive section.I think it is probably the same same that they carry at Pep Boys. I painted my fiberglass running boards with it. And it matches perfect. Just a thought.