PDA

View Full Version : need help with tranny/x-fer case problems

84 C2B2
06-29-2003, 00:17
Just had this problem pop up today. Driving down the road and the engine started to rev up with no increased speed. Shifted down to 2nd and then to 1st. No results. Thought my tranny was going. I think I might have problems with the NP208 since the problem is intermitent but comes back the more I mess with the 2H to 4L handle. Seems that I can shift and the tranny responds but you can feel definite lunges with shifting out of drive to neutral to reverse and a grinding noise going into park(kinda of like nothing to slow down and hold the tranny while going into park). I haven't inspected the fluid level or color of the xfer case but I will when the sun comes up later on today. A big question is will a NP208 have problems where it will not transmit power to the rear(Just a planatary gear set-up I believe inside) but might occasionally if i work it around? Anyone have these problems before?

blakmax
06-29-2003, 14:02
The most common problem will be the range fork. Run these new transfer case's low on lube and the fork melts, Its made out of aluminum with plastic inserts on late models "241" and steel with plastic pads on "208".One easy transfer case to rebuild, 2 hours max.

84 C2B2
06-29-2003, 15:56
Thanks Tim,

I did find three plastic pads in the bottom when she finished draining. It did run dry a few years ago but it has had a humming vibration since then. Any inexpensive place for repair kits?

cruzer
07-03-2003, 14:44
I don't know about repair kits, but I do know the 241 Xfercase hold minimal amount of atf and pumps a ton w/only a small cheesy filter inside. Change the fluid often. Small plastic pads and stamped steel forks most of the time.