PDA

View Full Version : New body style for 2003??

Goosen'DMAX
05-14-2002, 13:38
Was reading in this months Truck Trend magazine that the 2003's were getting a face lift. It said that it is going to be mostly centered around the Chevy HD's and not so much the GMC's. They said that the '03 Chevy's to include the HD's are going to look like the Avalanche. I can't say that I like that idea too much. They go on and on about the changes that they are going to make to the '03 Chevy and mention nothing about the GMC except for the fact that both are getting some new gauge work and stereo system (Bose). I have contacted my dealer, thinking that they would know somthing about this, they said that they would look into it, but I have not heard back from them yet. I'm having to wait until '03 to get my new HD due to finacial situations, but I don't want to get a Heavy Duty truck that looks like wimpy SUV?? Does anybody know anything??

01_Duramax_Dually
05-14-2002, 14:15
Goosen'DMAX,
What you have heard is true. The Chevy's will have the Avalanche style front end or very similiar. I have to believe this is due to optimizing tool useage, line assembly at associated plants and the fact the Avalanche was such a huge success. GMC did not make an Avalanche type product so I would think the change would be virtually nothing.
I have seen the new front end in pictures and as much as I really do like the Avalanche, the departing of the raised HD hood line of the Chevrolet will be sorely missed.

I honestly believe this was not an engineer design experiment gone bad, but a corporate decision to reduce costs and standardize assembly. I guess as long as they stay away from the crack head engineers that conceived the Pontiac Aztec ......we should be OK... :eek:

Regards

P.S. Welcome to the forum. Glad to see another California member..About where are you?

Jeff

mark45678
05-14-2002, 14:48
I heard from a buddy that reads everything about GM he can get his hands on that the body clading Idea is being droped in 2004? the new CEO is in town and that sh*t doesnt sell units! :eek:

AlaskaDmax
05-14-2002, 15:10
Dang, it makes you wonder who is actually making the decisions in that company.

As far as the Avalanche being a huge success...I give up. :rolleyes: That is a butt ugly "vehicle". :(

Mark Bajus
05-14-2002, 15:49
For pictures of '03 chevy and GMC, check out:

http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/autoshows/chicago2002/gm/03fst1.html

Yup, the chevy looks UGLY, the GMC looks much better.

Derek M
05-14-2002, 20:03
I believe it was the new sheriff, Bob Lutz, who's vice chairman and head of advance product development that suggested sans body cladding on the Av. I read somewhere that most people don't use the cladding for what it's intended, off road durability. It also drives up the price of the truck about $750. Look for the cladding to be an option very soon.

Derek M
05-14-2002, 20:10
The Chevy '03 styling is very similar to the current Avalanche. The head lamp assembly on the pickups doesn't make the abrupt angle/laid back change in direction as it heads out toward the quarter panel as it does on the Av. The change on the pickups is a little more subtle.

srubrn
05-14-2002, 20:43
The 2003 GMC has a front end that very closely resembles the small SUV GMC makes, the Envoy.

NutNbutGMC
05-14-2002, 20:48
^.....-------------> NutNbutGMC <------------ smile.gif

Dave
05-14-2002, 21:07
Looking at the 2003, I'm sure glad mine is a 2001. I really wanted a GMC when I got my chevy. Every truck I have ever owned had been a GMC till this chevy. The raised hood is the only redeaming feature of the chevy. Has that early 70's look.

The 2003 GMC looks good. Then the GMC front ends have always looked better except for 2001 and 2002 HD.

AlaskaDmax
05-14-2002, 23:25
This, like the avalanche, was a failed attempt.

I tried to post the pic directly here but I can't get it to work!

[ 05-14-2002: Message edited by: AlaskaDmax ]</p>

01_Duramax_Dually
05-15-2002, 07:19
NutNbutGMC,

Amen.....you got us Chevy guys on that one...the 01-02 HD hood line looks just fine, as does the grill. but if the "Proposed 03" comes out looking like the Avalanche, well then I have to agree with your sign in name....NutNButGMC..... :D

JimWilson
05-15-2002, 07:39
I gotta agree with you; I don't like the Avalanche look at all, and to pollute the HD with it is a travesty. Personally, I rushed an 02 order through just so I wouldn

DmaxMaverick
05-15-2002, 09:19
Back in '87, when the old new style came out, I thought OMG! What the he!! did they do to the best looking truck in history! It grew on me and now I like it. Same thing in '99. Now, IMO, the '01/'02 GMC IS the best looking ever. The HD Chevy is a very close 2nd. I don't think I will get used to the '03 look. WAY UGLY!! Both of them. The GMC isn't as bad, but still.

I still get a chuckle every time I see one of those Nissan techno-toy looking things (that will NEVER work, but people still pay big bucks for them)! I REALLY hope GM isn't getting any ideas from them! :eek:

My '01 GMC had better drive me to my grave (hopefully not prematurely).

[added on edit]
The rest of the truck doesn't look too bad. I did notice that it appears they went back to single color tail lights.

[ 05-15-2002: Message edited by: DmaxMaverick ]</p>

TimofCharlotte
05-15-2002, 19:45
The changes for 03 Chevy definitely pushed my buying schedule up. I like the sound of some of the other interior, electrical and other improvements, but like you've all voiced...geez, why mess with a great, rugged looking hood. I bet the Ford and Dodge guys are thinking "What the &%$@ are they doing, they had us running to play catchup till they did that!! "

I have a real hard time picturing the new HD Chevy in the "Like a Rock" commercials with the Avalanche front end. Maybe "Like a Snowball"...
yea, snowball's chance in hell I'd buy one looking like some SUV/truck crossbreed!

FWIW.

hoot
05-15-2002, 20:10
"The lights are NOT compatable. We designed the new 03 lamps with LEDs not bulbs like the 02 and prior"

This was the answer to a question about swapping the 2003 tail lights into the 2001-2002 trucks.

http://www.pickuptruck.com/IMAGES/autoshows/chicago2002/chevrolet/silverado/chisilverado7.jpg

Here's a bunch of 2003 pics....

http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/autoshows/chicago2002/gm/gallery.html

I actually think the new Chevy looks good.

[ 05-15-2002: Message edited by: hoot ]</p>

01F350SRW
05-15-2002, 20:36
I personally like the new changes EXCEPT THE EXTERIOR!!! EW, what CRAP. Now I gotta good question fellas. I currently drive a PowerStroke, thats right I said the dirty word. Now I'm not here to bash anyone or anything. I love my Stroker to death and its treated me very well. But shes rackin in the miles and its time to look for something else. I was in the market for an '02 DMAX but sudden expenses left me cryin, my brother currently has a Dmax and I love it, nothing wrong w/ it in my eyes. Now I planned on buying an '03, but not now. Hate to say it but the '03 looks DIRTY, NASTY, etc, yupie panzy mobile. My question is could you purchase the '02 hood, grill, bumper, and fenders to put on it since at least the parts will still be made? I would spend the money to do this b/c I want on so bad!!!! Do you think everything will line up right? Any replies would help.

TimofCharlotte
05-15-2002, 21:51
Here's the best part, keep your eyes out on the 02s, there's still plenty nationwide with whatever options you want, providing you don't want some offbeat color. But you have to be willing to do your homework on searching thru the internet, etc. Dealers will always try to get you to stick with what they have.
By the time the 03's come out, you'll be able to deal bigtime on the 02's. Go into the dealership and say...I really like the new trucks over the old ones, but I don't want to spend the cash on a new 03....got it? If I remember, towards the end of October is a prime time when dealers want to really unload to make year end numbers. Someone out there correct me if I'm wrong.
Regardless, you should be able to buy the most maxed out truck you want for little over invoice, or invoice alone. I bought mine in February, maxed out, and at less than $500 over invoice. Others I've heard are doing even better.

Good luck. We'd welcome you from the Dark Side of The Force. :D :D

Just kiddin around of course. Ain't nothing wrong with the SD PS. If I were a F-man, I'd not hesitate to own it, it's a good looking truck too...at least till someone starts f%#@ing with it like they are getting ready to with the Chev.

01_Duramax_Dually
05-16-2002, 08:01
Hoot,
Thanks for those links. I did an honest appraisal of the 03 Chevy and when you look at some of the pictures with the truck set back, it looks like a Toyota Tundra type truck. You know the look, like MAzda, like Nissan. It just looks prissy. Sorry man..I tried....really I did... smile.gif

The GMC(Yeah go ahead NutNbutGMC....chime in anytime :D ) looks far better. I actually liked both the GMC and the Chevy 01-02. I am just a Chevrolet loyal and like the name "Silverado" rather than "Sierra"... :D

Well this will be one of those "wait and see" type deals. General public really liked the Avalanche. My mother in law bought one, I have to admit they do grow on you and it does ride very very nice. However, I do not consider the Avalanche a truck, It is a SUV!

As I said before..Just keep the Pontiac Aztec people away PLEASE....... :eek:

Heartbeat Hauler
05-16-2002, 13:52
Personally, I think they should leave the outside alone and concentrate on the interior. I don't care for the seats in my LS all that much and the mirrors and sunvisors, well do I really have to go into it? :(
Just my $.02 worth.
JP

01F350SRW
05-16-2002, 21:19
Im still waitin on replies to my questions fellas :D

TimofCharlotte
05-17-2002, 03:36
FROM 01F350SRW..."My question is could you purchase the '02 hood, grill, bumper, and fenders to put on it since at least the parts will still be made? I would spend the money to do this b/c I want on so bad!!!! Do you think everything will line up right? Any replies would help. "

O1F350, I doubt seriously that anyone on this board could have that information since the new truck hasn't even been released, think about it. Part number lists don't exist...don't need to, yet.
It seems an awful waste of what may add up to at least $1000 or more, likely $2000 to make that transformation on to a new truck. Why not just save the money and get an '02? IMHO. :D

01F350SRW
05-17-2002, 09:45
You wanna help contribute? :D :D :D

JLee
05-17-2002, 11:31
AND..... from the pics it looks like?? the mirrors are the same as the 2002's --- so... maybe the new towing mirrors that GM is touting for 2003 will fit my truck smile.gif . Then again, considering what they want to charge for an underseat storage box.... :confused: , I'll probably end up with a set of Lucerix.

Jim

DMAXDiva
05-17-2002, 11:45
Hey guys:

I saw a 2003 Chevy regular cab Silverado 1/2 ton at the Houston Auto Show a few weeks back, and my in-person impressions were worse than those from photos...this truck (a red one) was, for lack of a more suitable term, fugly! :eek:

All I can say is that I am ecstatic with my 2002, and will drive her until the wheels fall off (or until GM revises the look!)

[ 05-17-2002: Message edited by: DMAXDiva ]</p>