PDA

View Full Version : reprograming.

tmg115
05-12-2002, 20:38
i read over hear that you can get more power out of your trany if you reprograme it and so i did it and boom once i did that it was like a hole new trany it had tons of power and took off so much faster. before my truck didn't take off till i hit 40mph but now it takes off at 10mph. i love this truck more and more every day.

IndigoDually
05-12-2002, 20:50
What method did you use to reset the computer? Scan Tool, 50 mph downshift to 1st ?

John

tmg115
05-13-2002, 20:12
55MPH down to first.

mackin
05-14-2002, 15:26
55MPH down to first .......... Doesn't that send a shiver down your spine ............. But it works ............. MRS ALLISON would throw you down a foot of stairs ..... If she new what you were up to ...............
MAC :D :D

ndamico
05-14-2002, 15:30
so do you have to do it 3 times in a row, or is once good enough to reset it? out here in Kalifornia i find it hard to get up to 50 MPH and stop 3 times in a row...

DmaxMaverick
05-15-2002, 10:10
I may be wrong here but....

I've done this several times. I've found that the results are more dramatic (in a good way) when the starting speed is around 60 to 65. At 50 to 55, the tranny will shift from 5 to 3, skipping 4, or it shifts so fast it seems that way. If you start at a higher speed, it will shift down the gears 5 4 3 2 1 rather smoothly. It really makes a possitive difference afterward.

AlaskaDmax
05-15-2002, 11:30
OK,

I have been trying to convince myself to do this.
I just keep thinking that there is a conspiracy here to laugh at people that would actually be stupid enough to slam their transmission into 1st while going 60MPH. :D :D

So give it to me straight.

Get up to 50-60MPH
Shift into 1st
Let tranny down shift all the way down

Now, do you let it coast to a stop or do you brake when it gets to a certain speed?

How many times do you do this?

What fuel MPG do you realize, more or less?

More power is good but what about the fuel?

How long does it stay in learn mode?

How soon after should I tow, to teach it?

Man, this is nuts.

[ 05-15-2002: Message edited by: AlaskaDmax ]</p>

hoot
05-15-2002, 11:35
Do it.

I did it a long time ago when the idea first came out. I was actually told to do it by an Allison tech.

Trust me it will not instantly slam 1st.

Go up to 55 or 60 and just drop the shifter to first. It does a nice controlled downshift sequence, bringing rpms up into the 3000 range at each downshift.

I didn't get more power and I don't believe anybody does. It just causes the Allison to adjust itself somehow. Afterwards it seems to shift better. It also eliminates the dreaded 2-1 drop at a stop sign.

[ 05-15-2002: Message edited by: hoot ]</p>

AlaskaDmax
05-15-2002, 11:36
What about the questions...hoot!!!

I need some answers!!!! :D :D :D

hoot
05-15-2002, 11:38
Question?

I don't answer no stinkin questions ;)

No power gain no fuel mileage gain. I also edited my last post.

I can't answer the other questions because I don't know.
sorry.

[ 05-15-2002: Message edited by: hoot ]</p>

SoCalDMAX
05-15-2002, 12:48
AlaskaDmax,

Here ya go!

"Get up to 50-60MPH
Shift into 1st
Let tranny down shift all the way down"

Yes

"Now, do you let it coast to a stop or do you brake when it gets to a certain speed?"

Coast all the way, brake at 5mph or less is what I do (guessing.)

"How many times do you do this?"

I do it 3 times, don't recall where I heard that number.

"What fuel MPG do you realize, more or less?"

Probably the same. Mine shifts earlier, firmer for a while after the "reprogram", so YMMV.

"More power is good but what about the fuel?"

This does nothing to change the engine at all. The TCM is constantly adjusting to your driving habits. After a month or 2 of driving like a responsible citizen, your TCM shifts softly and probably stays unlocked more than you'd like for "spirited driving."

Someone who knows the Allison very well suggested this technique to tell the TCM to go back to "fast learn" mode. How you drive after the 1st gear downshift will largely determine how the TCM will handle shifting in the future.

Every time I test something out and put the tranny in "limp mode", it then shifts sloppy and the TC stays unlocked more than I like. I put it back to "fast learn mode" and it learns to deal with more power and shifts crisper, at a lower rpm.

"How long does it stay in learn mode?"

No idea.

"How soon after should I tow, to teach it?"

No idea. Do it just before you hook up if you want.

"Man, this is nuts."

Nahh, driving anything else is nuts.

Hope this helps.

Regards, Steve

JimWilson
05-15-2002, 13:33
"Get up to 50-60MPH
Shift into 1st
Let tranny down shift all the way down"

This is probably obvious but... take your foot off the gas *before* throwing it into first, right? And it needs to be done 3 times in a row? And how often, once a year or something like that?

Man, this IS nuts -- I can just picture pieces of what used to be my $2,500 dollar transmission scattered all over the road.

[ 05-15-2002: Message edited by: JimWilson ]</p>

mackin
05-15-2002, 14:04
JimWilson,

This is probably obvious but... take your foot off the gas *before* throwing it into first, right?

Hell ya ..........

And it needs to be done 3 times in a row?

YUP, says the man above ..........

And how often, once a year or something like that?

Whatever ........ Or when you think you need a change .....

Man, this IS nuts -- I can just picture pieces of what used to be my $2,500 dollar transmission scattered all over the road.

Are you out of warranty? HHmmmmmm explain that to the service writer ........ Ya see sir, I'm a member of this here DIESEL page ....... And there all doing it sir ......... So I ....... Well, you get the picture ..........

Hoot ........... You got to trust me ....... Where have I heard that one before ........... You should have seen me sell this technique to CHEVYHDMAN when we went for a ride, he was like you got to be friggen joking right ........ It does work ... Hell, I don't care if ya trust or believe me or not ....... LOL

---------------------------------------------

Next lesson, NEUTRAL DROPS ............... When is it appropriate ?.......... At what RPM gives the best results .......This will be more fun ,TRUST ME ............. Lesson three will be reverse drive drops ......... How to do the perfect "J" ........

MAC
:D :D

[ 05-15-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

Cancerman
05-16-2002, 08:04
O.K. Guys, I have joined the downshift club!
It was actually anti-climatic and my briefcase didn't even slide off the seat.
I think that this is going to decrease my mileage though. Coming to work this morning, it was just too tempting to take advantage of the better performance!

Road Kill
05-18-2002, 08:23
Can anyone who has done the down shift program tell me if it got the the transmission to shift in to 5th gear any sooner then 53 miles per hour? This is my only wish with my 3500, that it would shift into 5th about 40 mph. Thanks :rolleyes:

GMFAN70
05-18-2002, 08:30
Would you all recommend unhitching the 15000 lb. fifth-wheel before doing the downshift?

bluenote
05-18-2002, 09:05
"GMFAN70
Contributor
posted 05-18-2002 08:30 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would you all recommend unhitching the 15000 lb. fifth-wheel before doing the downshift?"

I don't know, how strong is your receiver hitch and kingpin? :D

I'd recommend you do this empty. I know with my truck, it brought the speed down in a HURRY. I wouldn't want that big beast on my back end in that situation, unless it were an emergency.

randym
05-18-2002, 14:04
Anyone know if this helps with the 4L80E also.

mackin
05-18-2002, 17:08
Road Kill,

I don't think it will help ...... The slightest acceleration would just bring a downshift anyway ....... While lugging at that speed ...... Not to mention GM doesn't want us lugging around ... :rolleyes:
A shot of JUICE cures a lot of this ...... My 3500 gets right in to 5TH gear and stays there, at about 45-50 mph , it's because of the increase in Torque over stock ... Huge difference from stock ...... Downshifts are GONE .... You could try it but its been a while since I have had a stock configuration, but as I remember downshift were constant in fifth gear, GM wants them revving .... :rolleyes: .......
MAC

George Gozelski
05-18-2002, 17:34
How do you like your maximizer so far? I was thinking of buying one myself along with a Banks 4" exhaust!

Road Kill
05-18-2002, 21:08
Been thinking about the Juice, thanks Mackin. smile.gif