PDA

View Full Version : Skid Plate Alli Issues

Murf
06-26-2003, 19:27
My local fabricator said he could build a skid plate for the very exposed pan on the Alli for the off roading I occasionally do - do you think it will affect tranny temps negatively? I gotta hard time thinking about that pan when 4 wheelin!

Drove over two big passes in CO today for the first tow - 7,000lb trailer - got 17mpg. Rigs only got 1800mi - no white knuckles - just lovin it! Thanks for all the advice; just set the cruise control, put it in T/H and otherwise, drive it like you stoled it!!

AlanL
06-27-2003, 07:38
Since somebody is making it anyway...

If you're worried about trans temps with the skid plate installed, why not have the guy make the thing so that it is a little lower in the front to try to scoop up some air and cause it to flow past the trans pan.

NEAB
06-29-2003, 11:21
Is there a supplier for a bull bar/skid plate that can be readily installed on a 2500HD? It shouldn't be necessary to have one custom made!

Please let us know.

Murf
06-29-2003, 15:10
I asked that question on the forum sometime ago and all the responses I got as well as internet research I did turned up no aftermarket bolt on skid plate for the Alli - perhaps I should go onto a 4wd specific forum somewhere? My preference would be to get something already done up and ready to bolt on as the fabrication of this thing will be spendy; but to me, seeing that thing (alli pan) hanging down there and not covered up is a little sad given the other skid plates that are supplied stock.

GMC-2002-Dmax
06-29-2003, 15:21
1/2" ALUMINUM DIAMOND PLATE :eek:

Get a stock skid plate for a template, pay a welding shop to plasma cut it and bolt it up.

If you want a nice job make a mock one out of 1/4" luan plywood, drill it and make it the way you want, then bring it somewhere to have it fabbed.

I can't believe none of the off road shops are not offering or do not have aftermarket ones. :confused:

Off roading for me is driving across the lawn . tongue.gif

GMC ;)