PDA

View Full Version : HELP - TRUCK BROKE

Little_Wiley
05-11-2002, 22:53
Hey guys,

Just made trip from Jax, Fla to Norfolk, Va and back. Going up everything was fine. On way back as I crossed from North Carolina to South Carolina, Message Info Center reported "Reduced Engine Power". I was down to 1/4 Tank of Fuel so I pulled over at next exit and filled up. When I got back on the road, I didn't have the message showing anymore. When I got into Georgia, Light came on again but fuel was above half tank. I also found that I didn't have any cruise control. :mad:

After speaking with the dealership, I drove it on in to my hometown and figured that once I got back to Jax, I would put in shop this Monday morning. I didn't get that far. Today, I was getting ready to leave to come back to Jax and I have no forward or reverse Power. The truck will move back or forward but slower than a blind one legged man without a seeing I dog. You can press the gas pedal and you get nothing from the engine.

Anyone heard about this or seen it??

What really bothers me is this.

I called Triple A and had them tow the truck to the dealer there in my hometown from which I bought the truck originally. After he off-loaded from the tow truck I was able to crank the vehicle and have forward and reverse gearing with power. :confused: Needless to say, didn't matter. Truck is there waiting for monday and early bird techs to come and have them fix whatever it is.

Tks
Little Wiley :confused:

DmaxMaverick
05-12-2002, 06:56
Sounds like your fuel filter needs replacing. Hope it's that simple.

mackin
05-12-2002, 07:05
Little_Wiley ,

First off post some PICS of that truck would like to see it ......... Second of all you were not the guy that the shop cut the entire wiring harness when they installed the lift are you? If not sorry for the mistake in identity ........ On to your problems ........

The low power light never seen it ............ No cruise, that is strange ........... No SES? Sounds like a PCM reflash issue ...... Perhaps .........

The tranny issue I have seen that in my truck ..... With the exception of it was on first start up, mourning, and my shift indicator was blinking ......... It was or acted like it was in neutral, or I was riding the clutch in a standard .......... I dropped it down into 1'st manually and ran through the gears, while going down the road right to drive .......... I then did the old retraining thing as seen here .......... Others have also posted of a same occurrence ..... Do not think it's a major issue, but nevertheless if you find something out at the dealer about the what and why keep us posted ..........Good Luck.........
MAC

mark45678
05-12-2002, 10:24
my 2 guess fuel filter or high fuel temps, did you check to see if the fuel cooler in front of the fuel tank was clear?let us know what they find!

Little_Wiley
05-12-2002, 15:31
Mackin,

I guess that I'm kinda lucky that I'm not the guy your thinkin of. I think I would have killed the shop manager if they had cut the wiring harness like that. I bout shot the tech that did my lift anyway. Seems that were not too smart when rerouting my ABS wires and the drivers side was about rubbed thru by the wheel. They ordered me a new one and WE replaced it togather. Anyway, pics for my truck are at http://www.pbase.com/little_wiley

I'm also very interested to see how the dealer treats me about this since I have both a 6" lift on the truck as well as the 285's tires.

Will let everyone know outcome when I hear back.

NutNbutGMC
05-12-2002, 16:09
^...Mack Daddy, I remember the individual with the wiring harness that resembled a twisted bail of fishing line.....Also, there have been recent forum rumors that you have a deck of cards with 5 aces... Any confirmation of clarification of this nasty rumor??? I have no idea who started it :D :D

Small-Will, good luck my friend. It will work out... Don't sweat the small stuff..... You have your loved ones and the diesel heads here rooting for you... smile.gif

Piney
05-12-2002, 19:30
Little_Wiley,

Did you ever think about hitting the OnStar button and let them run a diagnostic while you were having the trouble? I'm curious as to how good that system works...

Little_Wiley
05-12-2002, 20:54
Dad Blame it.. I wish I had thought about that. Would have been quite interesting to see what they had to say about it all.

DmaxMaverick
05-13-2002, 00:28
Ditto on the Onstar. I've used it a few times and they were right on the money each time. Do it on the way to the dealer (they'll answer 24/7). Won't hurt or cost.

Little_Wiley
05-13-2002, 20:31
Talked to Tech on phone today. They are saying that the problems I was having are due to a sensor on the throttle being messed up??? I don't know that that should/would cause ALL of my problems. Will find out more when I go back up to Georgia to get the vehicle.

Little_Wiley :confused:

Little_Wiley
05-17-2002, 13:33
Well, Just got back to the house from Georgia. Picked truck up :D and spoke with the tech's. Am TOTALLY AWED. Seems that there is only an electrical connection between the gas pedal and the computer but no push/pull cable between pedal and engine. When you push the pedal down. That tells the computer ya want more power and the computer then tell's the fuel pump to work a little harder and push more fuel to the engine.

What broke was the electronic sensor on the accelorator pedal that decided whether or not I was pushing the pedal down or letting off.

SCARY.. :eek:

Little Wiley Sends

NutNbutGMC
05-17-2002, 13:43
^....Well Wiley,which was it? Were ya' pushin' the pedal down or lettin' off, when it broke???

hoot
05-17-2002, 14:15
It's called "drive by wire". I wouldn't be too concerned. All the newer jetliners are "fly by wire" and they can't pull over in the event of an accelerator loss.

GM has been using this throttle system since 1994 on the diesels with very few problems.

Turbo Al
05-17-2002, 21:19
The cruise control malfuntion happened to me once and only once for 300 miles -- I believe (through forum) that it resets when you shut down for fuel fillup or just plain shut down and restart. It has never occurred since -- 10,000 miles since last hick-up.