PDA

View Full Version : Allison CLUNK

ssybert
07-22-2004, 10:15
Hey guys,

I did a little searching and found a couple posts that seem similar to what I'm seeing...

when I shift from Drive to Park the transmission makes a CLUNK noise.. pretty noticable. I bought the truck used and at first thought it was just the big tough allison... but after searching for explanations, I am begining to think it's a problem. the noise also is VERY loud when going from 4L in drive to 4L in N so I can switch back to 2H.

Sound like the NSBU? Funny thing is, the indicator NEVER shows the wrong gear.

Would the NSBU be covered under warantee?

Scott.

ssybert
07-29-2004, 09:06
bump.

mdrag
07-29-2004, 22:17
ssybert,

The Allison has a large park pawl which can cause a noticable clunk when shifting into park. I don't recall hearing it when shifting out of 4L, but it's been awhile since I used 4L.

The NSBU would be covered under the Allison warranty for 3 yrs/36K, however, I do not remember this type of problem being caused by a faulty NSBU. I'd suggest listening to another Allison equipped truck if available, or making a trip to the dealership. Good luck.

airtime
08-13-2004, 03:30
ssybert,
No need to look further, mine does the same. If it's any comfort, the "dealer" says it's normal. Have you noticed that when you come to a stop your speedo takes awhile to get to 0? This may be co-incidental, but I noticed that if I'm in a hurry, I'll stop, put the truck in park (still stopped), hear the clunk, then look down at the speedo and noticed it hasn't wound down yet. I've even had coments to the effect of " Damn, why don't you stop before you park it"

I'm still looking for a dealer that will touch it, and hoping for a service bulletin.
I'm really starting to hate this trans. It's been trouble since day one. (I may have gotten a lemon, but everyone I talk to is showing some signs of one problem or the other. Unfortunately, I seem to have all of them combined into one.

Airtime-

56Nomad
08-13-2004, 06:51
airtime,

Sorry to hear about your problem.......

"but *EVERYONE* I talk to is showing some signs of one problem or the other"

Hummmm......

That sounds like what I heard frequently from the
F0rd guys, after I bought my truck. I don't think
your statement carries much weight, unless you
having a dialog with yourself :D :D :D

D-MAX
08-15-2004, 19:05
You might want to watch the video that came with your new truck it tells you all about the little noises and bumps of the Allison trans. I have two 2500s both with Allisons and have not had any Allison problems at all. Also I have operated a lot of heavy equipment with the Allison trans., and they all made the same kind of sounds,
Just my two cents worth smile.gif

ssybert
08-19-2004, 09:27
I purchased my truck used and it didn't come with any videos. Care to elaborate on what kinds of noises?