PDA

View Full Version : LT265/75R16 Michelin LTX M/S on Stock Wheels?

wheeler
03-13-2003, 01:22
Read up on past discussions here about tire upgrades. Just bought Michelin LT265/75R16 Load Range E Michelin LTX M/S tires for my 2003 Silverado 2500HD.

Thought I was good to go and at last minute tire dealer told me I was not going to "like the wear" I'll be getting with the stock 6.5 inch wheels. He suggested I needed 7 or 8 inch rims for these tires. I saw him look it up in the Michelin book and it recommended 7 to 8 inch rims for this tire.

I'm pulling a heavy fifth wheel and these tires will be seeing near maximum load at 80 pounds of pressure. From a safety/reliability point of view, do I really need new rims? Or, if I keep the present wheels, what kind of wear problems will I have? Thanks! --wheeler

FisHn2DMax
03-13-2003, 02:01
Thats what you get for buying a FRENCH Company product! LOL...Seriously The French do need to be sent a strong message by Americans, but since you've already bought the (otherwise really good) tire, don't worry about it! Just don't buy any Evian water, Dannon food products or French wines to make up for it! I have close family members and dear friends in Harms Way right now, so please understand why I'm a bit upset with the French!!!

To your question:
If you have the PYO OEM rims they're 6.5" and should work fine on the 265's. I've seen 285's on the OEM PYO's. The reason there may be a slight chance of a crowning wear problem is the load "E" rating. It's possible the stiff side wall of the E rated tires may be so stiff that it might "Crown" the tread and not make it level the center of the tread on the sides. I've seen this on the 285's with OEM rims, but never on 265's.

I tried the using my PYO's on my 285's and they showed too much crowning for my comfort, so I bought 8" A.R. rims.

I'm sure others here with 265's and OEM PYO's can give you the assurance you seek.

Good Luck ;)

Piney
03-13-2003, 05:00
wheeler, I have 285 BFGs on the stock wheels. At first I was a little concerned about all the same issues as you are, but with 10k miles on mine, they are wearing very even and have a nice ride. You shouldn't experience any problems with the 265s.

PONCH
03-13-2003, 07:33
Wheeler

I have the exact setup that you have and have not had any wear problem at all. smile.gif

wheeler
03-13-2003, 08:14
Thank you everyone for the input, I appreciate your help. Rather than treadlife, at first thought I am more concerned about blowouts under a full load (3400 pounds of weight at 80 PSI) caused by compromising the structure by having mounted the tire on too narrow a wheel. But from what you're saying this setup would probably be ok?

If I wanted to look at decent 8" wheels for these tires-- with a similar quality/look as the factory wheels-- what would you recommend? And are these wheels rated to carry the full 3400 pound load? Thanks, all. --wheeler

rjwest
03-19-2003, 16:51
NOT GOOD, Side wall to rim must be in spec to
meet load spec's....If not Sidewall will roll in/ or out depending on over/under width of tire and
cause internal sidewall damage, blow out...

Would not reccomend for continues max load driving.

DMAX Daddy
03-19-2003, 17:35
According to the Michelin Chart you need 7 to 8 inch rims for these tires. I have 265's on stock rims, but I dont max the load either.

http://tires.michelin-us.com/assets/pdfs/doc_ltxms.pdf

*EDIT*
If you are going to get new rims, check out the now available 285/75R16's in Load Range D, which still hold 3300 pounds per tire. A coworker replaced his 235/85's with these and swears by the little bit softer ride.

[ 03-19-2003: Message edited by: DMAX Daddy ]</p>

sonofagun
03-19-2003, 17:50
wheeler,

I've been thinking about what to do when I need new rubber and have finally decided this:

I pull max load, like you do, not often but enough to get new rims or stay with the standard size rubber. I haven't decided yet but if I go up in tire size I am going to go up in rim size too. rjwest has it right and it just isn't worth the risk to your family and property to be out of spec. on something that important. It could come down to your money or your life.

Good luck,
Bob

wheeler
03-21-2003, 17:43
Hey rjwest, dmax daddy, Bob and others. Thanks for your suggestions about larger tires on the factory 6.5" wheels. I decided I didn't want to risk it.

Ordered new wheels today, Weld EVO Velociti 8's in size 16x8. These wheels are load rated at 3200 pounds, whereas tires are rated at 3415... didn't find a higher rated wheel that would work for me but these EVO's are one piece forged and chrome plated. I think they should hold up very well.

http://www.weldevo.com/EVOFrames.html

Thanks again, --wheeler

wild bore
03-21-2003, 20:10
Hey Wheeler, you have to post pictures. I love those wheels! smile.gif