PDA

View Full Version : Is the clutch issue fixed?

srubrn
03-07-2003, 19:08
Has anybody figured out what causes the hard clutch feel? I have heard already about the tape around the line. Iknow it does not work. Do they have a replacement clutch yet?

Jelisfc
03-11-2003, 22:43
I've got the same problem. There was a post named ZF issues in mid January in this section. Dieselsrule said this "Take the truck back in and have them put a new slave cylinder in it. I had the same problem with my clutch getting real hard to depress when it was above 80 outside and after driving on the highway for 45 minutes or so. If you check your slave cylinder, fluid is probabaly jet black. They tried 1st,Flush fluid, 2nd Wrap line with heat tape, and then 3rd, the correct way replaced the slave cylinder and pressure plate. It's been fine ever since."

I've looked at my clutch fluid and it is a nasty black. I haven't taken it in yet but may investigate the subject with my dealer before I'll let them tear into it.

johnpugh
03-12-2003, 08:05
I think they have made another effort in fixing this by changing the part number for the clutch fluid for '03. The part number for 03's is 88958860. Of course, the dealers will tell you to use part 12345347, which according to the manual is for a 5 speed, not the sixer.

Now, just try to find 88958860 anywhere :(

GM doesn't produce it.

My dealer says he talked to GM chemical and 88958860 is DOT4 brake fluid, which has a higher boiling point.

I called the customer assistance line and was told to use the 5 speed fluid. I hope I don't need any soon :confused:

Later

needbigtruck
03-20-2003, 16:40
Sorry took so long to reply. I had my slave cylinder/throwout bearing replaced last fall. Haven't really had hot weather to drive in, although I was in S. Carolina in February, and it was warmer than here. I have not expierenced the hard clutch since then. I believe they have fixed it. They did wrap the line better with it all apart, probably better than the wrap they got originally. I think there was something wrong with the first few slave cylinders produced. I don't think the clutch (brake) fluid made any difference. Something was making the fluid very hot in the old slave cylinder and it's not now.