PDA

View Full Version : While change front diff noticed?????

NEW2DMAX
03-06-2003, 21:24
While changing front diff oil and with the skid plate removed I noticed a oily substance in a few places, looks to be diesel fuel if I was guessing. Is their some type of vent that would let this film of fuel build up????

Silver Bullet
03-06-2003, 21:33
I think there is some kind of vent hose that hangs down on the DS towards the front of the engine.

BigLakeDMAX
03-06-2003, 21:42
There is - it's the atmospheric crankcase vent. It's a olive drab green pipe, about 1/2" diameter, open straight down along the passenger side of the main engine balancer pulley. Vents crankcase vapor, and some oil with it. Causes a light film of oil to collect on the wiring nearby and on the skid plate. Also causes a hot oil smell around the engine compartment when the truck is warm. Totally normal.

jbplock
03-07-2003, 03:47
Regarding things noticed while changing the Diff fluid....

I drained and refilled the Front and Rear Diffs on my 03 with Mobil-1 75w90 this past weekend and was surprised to find them both low on fluid at only 5100 miles (almost a quart low on the rear). They had to have been low when I took delivery as their is no evidence of leaks or oil at the vents. The drain plug magnets each had a lot of debris on them, especially the front, which had a thick coating of sludge and metal filings. :eek:
(See pics http://community.webshots.com/album/65684589edLUNA)

I would advise anyone with a new truck to check their Diff levels ASAP!
smile.gif

Mike Fultz
03-07-2003, 08:02
JBPLOCK, thanks for the heads up. I plan on changing my diff fluid this weekend if the weather hold out here in Virginia. I did buy grape juice from the dealer and was surprised at the cost. I think GM and Harley both have the most expensive fluids going....