PDA

View Full Version : GM pushbutton 4x4 memo?

GMCTRUCK
03-06-2003, 18:28
I got this second hand and don't want to start any rumors. I was at my buddy's body shop today and he told me that his Goodwrench parts guy who operates out of a Chevy dealership told him that they got a memo from GM stating that there were alot of pushbutton 4x4 problems with GM trucks and there was mention of a recall and that GM was looking to phase out pushbutton 4x4 for the future. Anyone hear anything about this?

DMAX Daddy
03-06-2003, 19:04
Mine has been back once already for this. I hope they get rid of it, but I guess Im stuck. :(

K1XV
03-07-2003, 06:23
Yes, there are a lot of problems out there. In my case, the push button lights developed a mind of their own, and the "Service 4WD" message came on the display. However, the truck remained in 2wd high, and pushing buttons would not cause any shifting to 4wd.

The dealer diagnosis is that I need a new decoder motor, which took almost 2 weeks to deliver. I am having it installed next week. I have heard that there was a bulletin or memo that came out on Feb 14 that said that the problem could return, and at this time GM is working on a permanent repair. I got this information on the news group "alt.trucks.chevy" and it is under the string entitled "2003 Chevy, GMC 4 wheel drive problem.

Somehow, I think it may be software related, and the problem may be more acute on 2003 trucks. I believe the problem first occurred when I restarted the warm truck without first waiting for all the warning lights to calm down. I am now doing this as a precaution so that all the various CPUs throughout the truck are in communication with each other.

Ray

Bush Pilot
03-07-2003, 11:51
I have a new 03 with 1500 miles on it and it did the same thing. I took it in and they said it needed a new encoder and software up date. Since they made the changes I have not had the problem. But have only put 500 miles on it since the fix.

wheeler
03-07-2003, 20:47
Hi, I have new '03 with 1000 miles. Same syndrome; recent snowstorms here make lack of 4x4 very inconvenient.

My dealer reports GM says you can replace the encoder motor with the current replacement part; but that the problem would be expected to recur. GM says they are developing a part for a permanent fix, but no ETA on that new part yet.

Still, where I live, I'm in and out of four wheel drive many times a day and the convenience of push button transfer is much appreciated. Let's get this fixed. Cheers! --wheeler

Big O
03-07-2003, 21:19
When I ordered I had already planned on getting the manual shift transfer(with the ZF), even before I read a debate here on the auto shift transfer. A long time GM mechanic preached the possible problems with the electronic shifter, but many disagreed. Since I had never found it a problem to move the manuel shift lever, I am glad to say I choose that option. No regrets. :D

DMAXED
03-08-2003, 06:53
I agree with BIG O when ordering my truck I wanted the manual shifter just don't like the idea of the electric switch in my opinion

DMAX Daddy
03-08-2003, 13:56
If I lived anywhere but Southern CA I would have gotten the manual, but a manual out here makes for long trips homes sometimes...

I havent had a problem since the one time, just hoping it was a bad day

BowTieDmax
03-08-2003, 19:10
Talked to my cousin today and he told me while he was leaving home depot last week. He was hearing a "clunk"coming from under his truck. He also noticed his (auto) button for 4low flashing. But he new he wasnt in 4 low but he was right by a GMC dealer so he went in and told the service guy about it. And he in turn got the Duramax Mechanic that new right away what the problem was. He said that there is a sortware upgrade to fix the problem and they pulled his truck in and downloaded the upgrade and its been fine since. The guy told my cousin that he was the 3rd one he done so far.
Oh yeah my cousin said he first pulled into the parking lot before the dealer to remove the "juice"
His truck is a 2003 GMC2500hd D/A ext. I think its only 4 weeks old.

SledZep
03-09-2003, 16:11
I have an 02 with no problems. There may be problems out there but GM will NEVER do away with the pushbutton switch. Overall the technology is very reliable and only likely to get better.
I would bet that it will get harder and harder to get a manual one for liability reasons.

Big O
03-10-2003, 20:09
DMAX Daddy
--------------------------------------------------
If I lived anywhere but Southern CA I would have gotten the manual, but a manual out here makes for long trips homes sometimes...
==================================================
I don't understand? How does the manual shift make for a long trip, unless you are taking it in and out of gear every 1/2 mile? It only takes a second to put it in gear. :D

afp
03-10-2003, 22:48
A couple things come to mind. The more I read about the '03s, the happier I am that I have an '02.

Also, after having the manual 4X4 engagement system--the one with the dorky heated viscious (sp?) fluid method of engagement (on a 96 Z-71, and it had a failure in the first few thousand miles), I am glad to have electric push-button 4X4 engagement. Both rigs I've had with this system have been trouble free.

Blaine

GMCTRUCK
03-11-2003, 08:50
Afp, your push button still uses the same actuator mounted to the front diff as the manual lever trucks. Except now you have gizmos mounted to your transfercase also. Explain how you're better off.

hoot
03-11-2003, 09:01
Our 1994 Full size Blazer front actuator went bad this winter. Not bad considering the truck is 9 years old. Only took a couple of hours and about $120 to fix it.

Had a '97 6.5TD 4x4 push button 4x4. Always worked flawlessly. Very convenient

My 2001 DMax has it. Nice just hitting a button when I hit dry roads.

Like power windows, power doorlocks, a/c etc.
It's today people not 1920. I guess you should get rid of your electric starter and get a crank. No doubt that crank is more reliable that the starter.

Ranger354
03-12-2003, 06:02
Whether it is push button or manual shift the darn thing still works off a vaccuum that ingauges the front hubs. If all else fails just put a "C" clap on the piston. Looks similar to the cruise control piston. Or used to. I haven't really check this out on my 02. Haven't needed to.

I burt a vaccuum hose on a 94 blazer and it left me stuck in the mud. All I had to do was put a "C" clamp on the vaccuum boot and it pulls the cable that ingauged the hubs.

If you want a true manual only Ford still has the manual front locking hubs. I don't know why Chevy quit this system. I have the push buttons myself, but would much rather have the manual hubs and shifter.

If I am going to get that muddy I want it to work without a doubt.

But I will never buy a ford to drive myself. Chevy, Jeep,or nothing!

hoot
03-12-2003, 06:59
GM full size trucks do not use vacumm anywhere in the 4x4 systems. That's only on the S-10 size vehicles.

Older full size used a thermal actuator that relied on a heater and an expanding gas.

Later models (todays) use a electric motor driven acuator in the transfer case and the front axle.

Look here.....

http://uscom.com/~hoot/cars/actuator_upgrade/GM_TRUCK_4X4_ACTUATOR_UPGRADE.html

Heartbeat Hauler
03-12-2003, 13:55
I've got an 01 with the push button 4x4 and it has worked flawlessly. This winter I have used the he11 out of it and no problems. I hope my good fortune continues.
JP

Nixter
03-26-2003, 23:13
I turned 1800 miles today on my 03, and had the "service 4x4" message come up on my DIC. The red nuetral light was stuck on also, but the truck stayed in gear. My truck has the pushbutton actuator and has worked great so far. I have shifted on the fly at least 20 times, and have also used low range without issue. For some reason the system chose today to fail when I wasn't using 4x4 at all. So I took it to the dealership to have it diagnosed and the tech said that the actuation motor (I believe it is a servo motor) had failed. Indeed I tried it, and it would not shift into four wheel drive. He said that they have seen a trend of this with the 03s and that an improved part was available on back order with about a 3 week wait. It irritates me to think that they might not make these things good enough for the 10 percent of us that need and rely on four wheel drive for everyday use. I will go on record with my opinion that pushbutton four wheel drive is a great idea when it functions properly. My Toyota pushbutton system has served me faithfully for 90K miles without a glitch and has been a tremendous convienience for my application. I would guestimate that it has run at least 20k miles in four wheel drive, and shifted well over a hundred times. I just wanted to give you 03 pushbutton guys a heads up on this one. I will get the new part installed in a month or so, and report any trouble that it causes me.--Nick

wheeler
03-27-2003, 08:55
Here's a followup on this... my '03 2500HD Silverado has had the "Service 4x4" message intermittently for a month. Even tho' truck had been in for this same problem before, dealer couldn't take my word on it; GM compelled dealer to have truck brought in again "fresh" to read the error codes. Then the "improved" encoder motor (I think it's called) was ordered, which is being installed tomorrow.

I was told by dealer, by the way, that this part replacement is a temporary fix... the root problem is a software glitch. This new "improved" encoder motor has been modified to ignore the software glitch and should help... but eventually the programming will be revised and will have to be reflashed.

Progress? --wheeler

Jack's Dmax
07-20-2003, 23:24
Does anyone know if the Softwear update has been released for the "Service 4 X 4" message that appears on the DIC? My truck surprised me with that message on the DIC today.

Thanks,

Jack

[ 07-20-2003, 11:45 PM: Message edited by: Jack's Dmax ]

Nixter
07-21-2003, 00:31
The fix that I am aware of is changing of the encoder motor. I had mine done, and no problems so far. Your issue may be different, but I'm thinking it is likely the same. Many others have had this fix. --Nick

Turbo Al
07-21-2003, 13:31
Like "Big O" I also got the manual transfer case lever. I did have the pushbutton malfunction (S-15 Blazer)when I was 10 miles off the main road in 18 inches of snow and ended up burning off the power wheel tire getting back out.

dmaxalliTech
07-21-2003, 21:58
the 4x4 issue is corrected with replaceing the position sensor inside the encoder, not replacin it, GM would most likely kick back the warr claim if its replaced. NO problems with fix to date

DMAX Daddy
07-22-2003, 20:02
Big O,

Manual in Southern Cal traffic means a 30 in circumference on your right calf and rotator cuff surgery on your shifting arm! smile.gif

I got caught in a traffic jam last week, according to my GPS (had lots of time to play with it) we were averaging 3 MPH. If you let a car length show up in front of you someone will pull in, despite studies showing that no matter what lane you are in 99% of the time no lane is any faster than the other.

It was sooooo bad I had time to reload the Predator 100 HP for those cars overpowering my stereo. ;)

Jack's Dmax
07-23-2003, 00:48
Thanks to all of you that contributed the details on the fix. I called my dealer and they were aware of this particular problem and they have ordered the parts. They could not provide an estimated delivery date on the parts. They mentioned something about a possible national back order?

PS: I was not required to prove the problem existed by bringing my truck to the dealer. They took my word for it.

Jack

[ 07-23-2003, 12:56 AM: Message edited by: Jack's Dmax ]

Turbo Al
07-23-2003, 02:07
"Manual shifter" on the transfer case can also be bought with an AUTOMATIC transmission kinda like the one I have in my truck :D