PDA

View Full Version : Transmission oil level

DMaxDave
10-31-2003, 16:14
The fluid level in my allison trans shows in the hot area of the dip stick while the engine is turned off and is cold, and shows in the cold area after engine is warmed up and running been this way since new, kinda backwards of what it should be, any ideas?
David

DonG
10-31-2003, 18:30
DMaxDave,
I do not believe looking at the transmission level with the engine off has any meaning. The motor needs to be running to show a proper reading.
With the engine running you have two choices, cold transmission level, and hot transmission level.

Don

DMaxDave
10-31-2003, 18:42
Thanks Don I probably read the manual wrong I'll recheck it Thanks much for the info,
David

mackin
11-01-2003, 03:17
Lets not be confused ..... Don G is correct, the proper way to check Allison Transmission fluid level is with the engine "running" cold or hot,forget "off" drain back ....The level should correspond with tranny temp and stick marks ... Do not over fill ..... Hot is considered normaly above 150* although be Carefull topping off to the high end of HOT on the stick .... Leave a little room for further expansion (for them higher temp times ) for a better word,could be a bit messy,not good ....

Mac ;)

DMaxDave
11-01-2003, 16:16
Thanks fellows sometimes the dang manual is not clear to me , I think I read between the lines too much. Thanks for all the input it is truley appreciated, David

mackin
11-03-2003, 09:13
Originally posted by Mike L.:
mackin
How fast do you think a torque converter drains back into the pan after you shut the engine off? Depends if you have the updated Leak Down kit installed ....

Mac tongue.gif

mackin
11-03-2003, 09:16
mackin
How fast do you think a torque converter drains back into the pan after you shut the engine off? Mike all kidding aside .... Are you going to assume responsibility on a fluid level based on Torque Converter drain back or what the consumers glove box hand book tells them what to do ???

Your call .....I'm on the glovebox side !!!!!

Mac
:D :D :D

mackin
11-03-2003, 11:37
mackin
Too often we read splash on the stick with the engine running. Try my method and see how close you get on your reading, plus it's a lot safer. A torque converter will not significantly drain bag much in a 2 minute period and i have found the running engine check can read slightly low as compared to engine off 2 minute check.

mike Got it.... Should I or you call General Motors ??

Mac :D :D :D

77TransAm
11-03-2003, 11:45
Mike L: when the 1000/2000/2400 was in development, a lot of testing was done to find the optimal fluid level. This testing was done with the engine running (for the obvious reason that the transmission will be doing all of its work with the engine running). The Technical Documents for OEMs to make fluid level indicators (dipsticks) were then created based on the running fluid level. The correct level is 10-30mm above the pan rail splitline with the engine running. If you really want to get precise, you can do what was done during testing - make a graduated sight tube to verify the fluid level. Then you can watch the fluid level begin to climb the instant the engine is shut off.

The good news is that these transmissions are not terribly sensitive to fluid level. Even a whole quart doesn't seem to make a noticeable difference in performance unless you are at the edge of operational limits. So if you insist on checking your fluid with the engine off, your trans probably won't suffer from the readings you get. smile.gif

mackin
11-03-2003, 21:42
So, you guys are saying that the wonderfull, smart, engineers at GM are infallible? My shop was a GM warranty center for transmissios for 10 years. I have seen what comes out of Detroit(not just GM's but all of the big three). I have talked to the engineers when new cars and trucks were pushed off the delivery trucks cause they didnt move. I watched a Corvette go up in smoke when the truck driver started it on top of the delivery truck. (wrong harness). I had two GM engineers spend a week in my shop watching what we did because everything we did was warrantied by GM. I can tell you that when we had some real problems i was told to overfill the trans and see if it worked better. I could tell you many more storys about my conversations with the GM engineers. I will use the owners manual to tell me which bulb # i need for a tail light but not much more.

mackin
I spent ten years talking to GM and still do talk to some of the guys that are left and not retired. I still do trans work for GM and Ford. How about you? Made the call yet? I do at least twice a month.

mike Oh Boy !!!!!!

Perhaps I'll call Steve'O (Moderator and Allision Certified Mechanic) and have him straighten you out also ..... Why don't you ask 77's for his credentials,it might shock you ?? Should I introduce Turbo Al to you ?? Dude there is a tall group of Allison individuals here ,forget me .... This is no joke Mike If you want to tell the audience to go against the manufactures recommendation please post your liability insurance policy number, thanks we'll or they'll apreciate it ..... The site Administrator (Jim Bigley ) I'm sure would recommend follow manufactures recommendation on transmission fluid check procedure to end this also ....

Quit now save yourself,it would be in your best interest ..... I'll I was doing is pointing out manufactures recomendations to fluid level check procedure .... Your digging the hole, put the shovel back in the shed .....

Mac ;)

[ 11-03-2003, 09:02 PM: Message edited by: mackin ]