PDA

View Full Version : torsion bar keyway

buelldude
03-05-2003, 21:32
can someone tell me how these things work? Torsion bar keyway. I was looking at ways to lift my truck 3" in the front and I saw this(truckinsuspension.com). I really don't want to bust the front end apart if I don't have to(spindles), to get a few inches.

JimWilson
03-06-2003, 16:42
Well, without having a direct URL that can show me the product in question I'm going to take a guess... I assume your talking about new torsion bar keys, right? If so, do a search for Hill. The have a set that most people have been using, even though they are a Ford part that happens to fit a GM. There was also a post about some other GM keys that would reindex the tbars and give some additional lift. But with either choice I don't think you'll get 3". That's a lot from a non-suspension lift product.

wild bore
03-06-2003, 18:05
Buelldude, I was thinking of something like that. I use my truck for work and carry enough weight in the back so that it sits level. So I was thinking about using this in the front
http://www.hill4wheeldrive.com/cgi-bin/products.cgi?category=category01&item=5422475795

and a 2" lift block in the back, I think there will be play in the front to level the truck if needed.

I don`t think a 2" block will cause problem?
I`m also not sure if it would need longer shocks?

Comments please.

buelldude
03-07-2003, 12:03
That is what I found in the mag I was reading. It was a bit cheaper than 150.00. Here isthe link http://www.truckin-richmond.com/
see if this is the same thing your talking about

[ 03-07-2003: Message edited by: buelldude ]</p>

wild bore
03-07-2003, 20:31
Well, after looking at the site I posted, they say it comes with a new pair of torsion bar adjusting cams and instructions. I think it must be the same thing, and 100.00 bucks cheaper.

I have never messed with torsion bars, but the website made it sound simple to do. If you do this, let us know how it goes.

buelldude
03-07-2003, 21:00
I don't have a problem doing it, I just want to know what will happen to the ride and suspension. Will it get to rough to even ride in the truck? I just wnat enough to get 285's on with out cutting all the front end up. It might help if I knew somebody that put 285's on and how did they fit.

wild bore
03-08-2003, 06:53
I think most all of the guys here that have 285`s or bigger, have said they cranked up the torsion bars to level the truck. Empty trucks sit about 2" higher in the back. I have heard that cranking up the bars like that puts stress on them and a much stiffer ride, The new keyways raise the truck without the extra tension, I would feel better doing it that way.

You live in richmond?

DmaxMaverick
03-08-2003, 13:49
Hogwash!!

Spend your money on new cams if you insist. They are a waste of money. There is no "less stress" with different ones. The stress is EXACTLY the same, no matter which cams you use.

That being said, I'll explain why (again). All the cam does is preload the torque (or index) on the torsion bars. This means "twist" on the rear of the bar. It doesn't make a difference which cam you use at the rear, the result at the front of the bar is the key. Too much preload, to increase height, creates control arm and axle shaft angles that will KILL the supension and CV joints, and possible damage to the front diff. and wheel bearings. 3 inches over stock is too much. I know several that have done this, but they will surely pay for it in a short time.

One to two inches of increase, no problem. More than that and you are creating a problem.

buelldude
03-08-2003, 21:22
ok, with that being said, what is the best way to get 3" on the front end.
This is my question, did the people who have 285's have to do a lift??????? If I don't have to do this I won't.

Bass_on_tap
03-09-2003, 06:33
I have a these front cam keys for the 8 lug trucks. They are $60.00 plus shipping for Diesel Page members if anyone is interested. They come with installation instructions. Same as the one at Hill's.
bass_ale_1@hotmail.com

wild bore
03-09-2003, 07:03
DmaxM, I thought the cam keys would raise the frony end up, without having to crank on the bars? The twisting of the torsion bar is what causes the tension, I think? :confused: