PDA

View Full Version : Allison Problems???

ratlover
10-28-2003, 07:22
I am having some strange problems with my allison and am not confident in the local dealer figureing things out and the dealer I bought my truck from is 75 miles away and I'm not sure if they can figure out a intermitent problem either. The last dealer I took it to said they couldnt find a problem and it acted fine for them. Knew it would but oh well. I have 7k miles on my 03 chevy D/A. I changed the allison spin at 3k and the fluid level looks fine/fluid looks red. I dont tow or really abuse my truck. If chevy is listening I dont really have a chip....I am just saying that to try to fit in with all the nuts on this board ;) smile.gif but if I did it would be regular juice and I would have started in level 1 and given the trany a couple days to learn in each level till I hit 4 and I would probably only have a total of 1k with the juice ;) The problems would also probably happen even if I had the juice conected.

First problem is the dreaded "shift range inhibited" This happend at about 5k and they put a tan nsbu in it. It did it again about 10 miles later and they said if it does it again to bring it in. It has been doing it every so often since it first crapped out maybe 2-3 times a week. Cycling through the gears always brings it back to normal.

Second problem is a slipping in 1st during initial take off. It has happened 3 times that I have noticed. First 2 times I thought it was juice related and it was the motor stumbling a bit......but I dont have juice so its not related to that ;) Last time was definatly unjuiced though. No box. I cant remember if I left the truck running the first time but the last 2 times. I put the truck in part and left it ideling for a minute or 2 and came back and that when it did it. Placing the truck into drive it wouldnt "creep" forward.....easing on the accelerator it climed to about 1200rpm and started to move, shuddered a bit and then took of fine. Truck was fully warm as was the tranny. Flat road.

Any one have similar problems or any ideas of were to point the dealer? Wish I lived closer to MI :(

BassinRVer
10-28-2003, 08:48
There is a service bulletin on the first gear hestitating thing. It only happened to me two times. Pull up to stop sign and hit go pedal and three seconds later she starts to move forward. This is a software bug. As far as the your first problem, when my NSBU went out they replaced it and I never had another no shift into gear thingy except for once but I cyled the ignition and it went away. When my NSBU switch went out the first time it would not shift into gear until after I cycled the ignition. They had already replaced the NSBU switch and I had the tan one so I forgot about it and it never did it again. Hope this helps and makes sense.

I lost myself on that one. So, my NSBU went out, they replaced it with tan one and it only acted up more time after that.

ratlover
10-28-2003, 09:04
software glitch huh? Mine has only done it when going from part to drive. And here I was thinking I might have a chance to have GM yank my trany under waranty and while they were in there it would be an oportune time to add some parts ;) Thanks