PDA

View Full Version : Need help with tires

a bear
10-27-2003, 16:48
Can anyone recommend a good replacement set of tires that are E rated for a truck that spends 99% of the time highway driving with occasional heavy tows. I'm looking for a little extra traction when needed but would rather not get too aggressive on the tread. My search showed the Bridgestone Revos to be very popular and I am considering those but I would rather run something a little more suited for Hwy driving. I am also leaning toward the 265/75/16 size to bring my speedo in line with my actual speed.

Diesel Dad
10-27-2003, 17:12
Where you live, I'd look at Michelin XPS Ribs. Great on the highway. Excellent in rain. Tow wonderfully. Snow -- forget it !

jbplock
10-27-2003, 18:04
Tommy,

I switched out the stock Firestone Steeltex for load range E Michelin X Radial LT's. They are an excelent highway tire that run smooth and quiet but still have some bite when you need it. I also ran them on my 98 dually with good results. smile.gif

jtegland
10-28-2003, 06:12
A Bear,

I've been eyeing those 265 and 285 Revo's also and have been tearing my hair our over what to do about replacing the stock rims 16 x 6.5. The 265's spec, found on:

Tire Rack (http://www.tirerack.com)

Call for a 7 to 8 in wide rim and the 285's 7.5 to 9. I know a lot of people go ahead and put 265 and even 285's on the stock rims, but I routinely run at the 9,200 lb GVWR hauling horses and don't want to loose sleep worrying about loosing a tire going 75 mph with a load of horses. Knowing that I didn't have the tires on the right size rim.

John

[ 10-28-2003, 05:25 AM: Message edited by: jtegland ]

a bear
10-28-2003, 07:01
Thanks to all for the info. More than likely the narrow factory rims serve as a deterent from installing larger tires and having the warranty miles last as advertised. Seems that factory rims are always too narrow for the very next step. I guess with the thousands of trucks sold it all adds up to saved warranty dollars. A 7" rim would have easily served the purpose for both OEM and one size larger to correct GM's fuzzy math speedo and have a little more rubber. I think I've learned a lesson to deal in the next size rim during the actual sale. smile.gif

JimWilson
10-28-2003, 12:22
For an AT style of tire it's hard to beat the Nitto Terra Grappler. I got um, and I love um. Highly recommended.

Idle_Chatter
10-28-2003, 13:25
I put on a set of Dunlop Radial Rovers (OEM size) that I got for $94/ea at Sam's Club. Traction is great wet and dry, they look "chunky" enough for upcoming snow. I put my low-mileage replacement spare Firestone Steeltex into spare since I stayed with stock size. Been good for me!

AlanL
10-28-2003, 13:36
I run 265 Revos on the highway and they're at least as good as the Steelex OEM tires in terms of noise.

Traction wise they seem much better.

tysmith
10-28-2003, 14:33
I'm going with 235/85 16 E Bridgestone REVO's.

My experience with Michelin LTX M/S in this size: nice tire, handles and rides well (on '99 6.5 'Burb), but picks up anything small in the sipes and peppers the truck. This set seems to have a taste for screws as well. :rolleyes:

My experience with 235's is that they are quiet, perhaps due to less contact area, slight return in mileage for same reason, and fill out the fender wells nicely at 32" (for the REVO's). Also, they are rated for 6.5" rims, which will allow use of the 50,000 mile warranty the REVO's come with.

My .02

Ty

Lone Eagle
10-31-2003, 17:37
So far my new BFG A/T are working great. If I am not mistaken the 1/2 ton Z71 has 265s on 6.5" rims. Later! Frank

mdadgar
10-31-2003, 19:02
I just put 265 Revos on my truck on Wednesday. They rock. I'm very impressed with them. Quiet, lots of grip, great in the rain (we got the season's first rain today - very slippery), good ride.

The tread is a little tall for towing - there's more tread squirm than the stock tires. But I can certainly live with it.

- Mark

motovet
11-01-2003, 23:06
I will put in another word for the Nitto's. I have had the 265's for a few months and they are flawless. Quite, good towing manners, and excellent wet road handling. Also got me and the trailer out of a VERY muddy situation at the races a couple weeks ago.