PDA

View Full Version : Thin metal on the bed question

Aluminator
07-21-2002, 08:17
I know that a lot has been said about the problems with the after market tool boxes and the poor fix that GM came out with but what about the dents that come so easily just by reaching over the side of the box to pick up something. Has anybody had any repairs to the outside of the box covered by warranty? I talked to my dealer and he told me to call the 800 number and see what happens. Just looking for some first hand info.

Dennis

DuckhunterInTN
07-22-2002, 02:21
I just carried mine to a painless dent removal place and they got them out...but they drilled holes in my wheelwell to do it :( But now I have another dent in the bed that I need to get fixed...it will be an ongoing problem, I guess. It really is a sad state when you are afraid reach into the bed for fear of denting the side of the truck. I like my Chevrolet a lot but after I dented my bed a couple of time I have taken to noticing that, when comparing GMs to other makes, we have a lot more dents in out beds than Dodges and Fords. And, honestly, there is not fix for it short of replacing it with a Protec box. It is very discouraging. Imagine how these trucks will look with about 10 years under their belts... :(

[ 07-22-2002: Message edited by: DuckhunterInTN ]</p>

Aluminator
07-22-2002, 19:57
Thanks Duckhunter,

I am calling tomorrow and if I can't get anyware I will try the dent type shope and get it done there.

Dennis

DuckhunterInTN
07-22-2002, 20:11
You might want to check with your service department manager and see if they offer that service for free. I was talking to my service guy the other day about fixing a tear in my seat (for free) and he said that a guy comes on one day to do that and another guy comes on another day to fix dents. By the way he talked, the dent repair would be free also. Either way, try to see if they can repair the dents without drilling any holes. I believe there is a TSB about that.

Burner
07-23-2002, 09:59
Hey fellas,

See if there is a shop around there that uses "dry ice" to take the dents out? I thought that I had heard that from a body man some years ago.

Burner

Chris N5CWM
07-24-2002, 21:03
Sounds like GM went with thinner sheetmetal in
the bed to get the overall GVWR/CGVWR up by making
the truck lighter. I would rather have thick steel
in the bed and a couple hundred pounds less
carrying capacity!

This assumption of mine is also based on what I've
read here about owners claiming the roof is very
easily flexed while washing or waxing. I find
this to be a problem with my Dodge Ram, lots of
deflection in the roof when I wash it. But the
steel in the bed will not budge even when I walk
on the bedrails or press the sides (fenders) of
the bed.

Interesting topic. I met up with TMG115 in Ennis
and while we were at the dragway, used their
digital racecar scales and my truck weighed
within 10 Lbs of his. Both are very similar trucks
3/4 ton 4x4 extended cab short beds, diesel engine
(how much does a DMax and Allison weigh?). Mine is
a standard, 5 speed (cast iron NV4500) and the
Dana 60 and Dana 80 axles (very heavy stuff).
I was suprised his truck was that heavy! I figured
it'd be 500 Lbs lighter than mine since it has
the Allison and aluminum headed DMax.

odoh
07-24-2002, 23:17
I too wonder where the wgt is coming from. Definitely not from the beercan sheetmetal body. W/alum wheels mine wgts in @ 6500#. Over 3tons of I know not what. The G80 looks huge but that can't be the sum total of the story. Nobody was in it when it was weighted. Do the sprayin bedliners really help prevent denting? ~ odoh

[ 07-25-2002: Message edited by: odoh ]</p>

NeverForget
08-02-2002, 20:33
Shortly after getting my DMAX in February, I noticed the thin sheet metal. My 10 y/o son managed to dent the bedrail while climbing into the bed. So, I purchased diamond plate Al bedrail caps, had them sprayed on both the top & bottom with Line-X, and put them on after having the bed & rails sprayed with Line-X. No more dents.