PDA

View Full Version : 2003 GMC Front Air Dam and Rock Chips

roegs
03-01-2003, 21:45
My new '03 GMC will be here in just a few weeks, and I'm already a little concerned about the new painted front air dam and rock/bug marks. I think the painted dam looks sharp, and I'd like to keep it looking nice. For those of you who already have '03 GMC's, has the painted dam been an issue for rock chips? Any thoughts on the best way to protect the front dam on long trips? I've thought about using one of the clear bra's (xpel), but I don't think they make one for the '03 trucks yet.

GMCTRUCK
03-01-2003, 22:21
Mine hasn't gotten any chips in it from rocks or bugs etc. ...yet. The very bottom of it is getting scuffed and scratched from driving through the snow piles the plow trucks leave in front of driveways and from the snow piles left front of parking stalls. I'm not used to having a truck I can't pull into a snow pile in order to fit in a parking stall. My others were either up high enough or actually metal, or both.

Tsckey
03-01-2003, 22:26
I really haven't had a problem, but nearly all my driving has been on paved roads and I don't follow anyone closely. The leading edge of my hood and the airdam both look new. I've had my truck since July and have over 13,000 miles on it. I keep it waxed so the bugs don't stick, but that won't help with rocks. Some people use the Invinca shield invisible bra and report good results, though it's pricey. Oddly, while my hood and dam are fine, I've had to have two windshield chips repaired in the short time I've owned the truck. I think it's because it is such a bright RED nothing dares come near it. The windshield on the other hand is a different story.

TC

Tsckey
03-01-2003, 22:27
I really haven't had a problem, but nearly all my driving has been on paved roads and I don't follow anyone closely. The leading edge of my hood and the airdam both look new. I've had my truck since July and have over 13,000 miles on it. I keep it waxed so the bugs don't stick, but that won't help with rocks. Some people use the Invinca shield invisible bra and report good results, though it's pricey. Oddly, while my hood and dam are fine, I've had to have two windshield chips repaired in the short time I've owned the truck. I think it's because it is such a bright RED nothing dares come near it. The windshield on the other hand is a different story.

TC

conradv
03-04-2003, 10:26
I've had a few chips on the painted bumper, but you can't really see them very much.

I have about 4 rock chips on my hood that I've dabbed with touch up paint. boy, that paint is mighty thin on the hood. Plus having a dark green truck, you can see any ding.

I've also gotten a rock chip in my windshield (7000 miles with a bug shield)