PDA

View Full Version : Fabtech, Pro-Comp, Superlift...Which one?

Duramaxdiesel
10-26-2003, 19:32
Well, after 3 years of wanting a Dmax of my own I took the plunge. We have a Dmax now but really it's my dads. I use it whenever I can. The truck is a 2001 D/A Ex. cab S/B and I want to lift it and put 36's on it. The truck will see mostly highway miles but when it hits the dirt will be worked pretty hard. There are so many lifts out there but I don't know which to choose. Any help guys? :confused:

ryeguy
10-27-2003, 10:08
I just went through this.

Have a look at the forums at www.fullsizechevy.com (http://www.fullsizechevy.com)

There are basically two kinds of kits for our trucks: those that drop the whole front assembly with brackets, and those with drop spindles.

My preference is for the former (drop assembly) for a variety of reasons. And of those, the Pro Comp looked like a far superior kit over, say, the Superlift, when looking at specifics on the steering mod's. It also has options like rear track bars to handle the axle wrap that you will have, and their MX-6 shocks which are variable setting (similar to the RS9000's).

In the end, I've opted against a full lift for my truck. Makes it too tall for the work it sees, I'd be regearing to 4.10's, and our tie rods and pitman arms are relatively weak (regardless of the suspension lift you use). I am now considering the "green key" lift and some 295's or 305's. That should raise the truck about 3 inches, which I think I can live with.

--Rob

DinoMax
10-27-2003, 13:31
duramaxdiesel, I have the 6" Superlift & 315/75/16 BFG's on my truck. Just turned 25K miles w/ zero problems smile.gif Ride/handling is as good or better than stock, tire wear is excellent (just keep 'em balanced & rotated at regular intervals), and I get a lot of compliments on how the truck looks. The Superlift is a direct bolt-on kit, w/ no additional mods to truck required. You can get info on the kit at www.superlift.com (http://www.superlift.com)
I think several companies out there make a nice kit, i.e. Pro Comp, Fab Tech, etc. Just do the research and find out which one best suits your particular needs, weigh the cost of each one, and most importantly IMHO, find a local shop that is qualified to install it correctly! If you want to see some pic's of my truck w/ the 6" Superlift, just click on the link in my sig. Good Luck, DinoMax :D :D

Duramaxdiesel
10-28-2003, 16:53
Thanks for the replys guys. I just want to make sure that I can still use my truck as a truck when it's lifted. I also want 36's but most companys advise a maximum of a 35in. tire. It would also be nice if the steering correction parts were included. I was leaning toward the Pro comp or Fabtech 6" but now I don't know. :confused:

airtime
10-31-2003, 15:50
Duramax-
I am currently in the process of getting mine lifted. I chose the Fabtech kit due to the quality of the welds. The Procomp looked ok, but the welds on the Fabtech looked to be of higher quality. I have an 02 2500hd 8.1/allison, and I will be having a 6" with 16x10 Weld-racing Cheyennes, and 315/75-16 procomp m/t's. I just sent the rims in to be powder coated clear and should get them back in about a week. My truck is currently at the Allison shop so they can fix my tranny shutter, and that should also be out next week. Once I get them both back the lift will be going on. I bought everything from 4wheelparts.com. Good luck, hopefully I'll have some pics soon.

Riverholic
11-01-2003, 12:50
Duramax, I got mine lifted in April this year and have had 0 problems. I have a 8" lift made by CST and have been very happy with it. The kit they sell is 6"-8". They get the extra 2" by rekeying the torsion bars. After the rekeying of the torsions I can say that it rides a little stiffer than before. I am able to clear 37" tires on 17 x 10" rims with no rubbing. In the end I think that all the lift kits out there are comparable in quality and accomplish the same job, which is making your truck higher than before. So look at all the different companies and decide which is best for you and go for it. You'll be glad you did every time you look at your truck!! Just my .02!!

ryeguy
11-03-2003, 09:27
Originally posted by DinoMax:
duramaxdiesel, I have the 6" Superlift & 315/75/16 BFG's on my truck. Just turned 25K miles w/ zero problems smile.gif Ride/handling is as good or better than stock, tire wear is excellent (just keep 'em balanced & rotated at regular intervals How much has your fuel economy been affected? And (I'm assuming here that you use your truck for work) how's it lifting stuff in and out of the back of the truck?

--Rob

DinoMax
11-03-2003, 15:58
ryeguy, my truck was already lifted when I bought it (about 6K miles then/25Know), so I don't have a baseline from stock, other than what I have read here from others. I have a Predator to calibrate for the larger tires, but I never run the 0 HP tune. Before the Predator, I never really calculated mileage 'cause I knew my speedo & odo were off a little. With the Predator set @ the 85HP tune i was getting 13 to 13.5 MPG around town. I have been using the 120HP tune since the Predator revision came out (about 2 months now), and to my surprise, my mileage has gone up to 14.5 :cool: This is all in town, traffic, stop & go driving, and when it's time to go i GO ;) Some might be getting better #'s, I have a heavy foot and little patience for the slow pokers. I really don't use my truck for work, just the normal trips to home depot, etc. Getting things that are on the heavy side or an awkward size can be a little tricky if your short like me tongue.gif , but getting things out (through the tailgate ) is a breeze. I try not to reach over the side rails, unless I'm standing on the nerf bars or a tire. Hope this helps, DinoMax :D :D

airtime
11-07-2003, 21:24
Duramaxdiesel,
I just got my truck back, I'm pretty happy with it. Some small things that I wasn't pleased with. 1- the cost, but I can overlook that for some good treatment, maybe some extra's.
2- They put the shocks on w/out boots! (what the hell?)

Other than that, it rides AWESOME! You know how the truck used to jar the hell out of you when you would hit a minor pothole? No more! Little bumps that caused a rattle in your cab, No more! It is sooo smooth, with the firmness of stock! (believe it or not). However, I think they got the offset wrong, it rubs with 35's. I just paid $330 per wheel, and had them powdercoated at $35 per wheel. It shouldn't rub with a 6" and 35's. But, other than that, I LOVE the ride! Hang tight and I will get you some pics.
Jethro

DinoMax
11-08-2003, 12:20
Airtime, where are the tires rubbing? I also have a 6" lift w/ 35's, and had to trim the spoiler/valance under the front bumper ever so slightly. That was the only place I was hitting. Everything else clears, even at full lock of steering wheel. Let us know when ya get pic's posted. DinoMax :D :D

Duramaxdiesel
11-09-2003, 15:53
Airtime I'd love to see the pics of your truck. I decided to go with the Fabtech lift too. Some people that had the Pro-comp lift said that they bent a few bkackets. Would you by any chance have the PN for the lift. Also, what steering corrections if any did you have to do and are CV spacers used? Sorry for the questions, but I want my truck to be perfect, know what I mean?

Buck
11-11-2003, 10:02
Check out Dmax Diva's truck :D ;) smile.gif Sweeeet ride. The Pro Comp lifts don't cut any corners + their front shock hoops, trac bars and skid plate really "finish" the kit. Where is she..........? crusin' on her bike :D

Duramaxdiesel
11-11-2003, 16:34
You're right Buck. Her ride is awesome and she's running 37's! I want to run 36's and plan to wheel pretty hard in lots of mud. Later.

DMAXDiva
11-14-2003, 05:19
Hi guys...I'm still kickin', just preoccupied with the two-wheelers, as suspected ;) .

Yeah, I really like the look of the lift and 37's on my truck, but to be honest, I'm not sure that I would do it all again, given the chance. Mileage has suffered tremendously, as has performance (thank goodness for the Juice; it's been my salvation!). But, the cool factor is most definitely there, which makes up for a few extra gallons of diesel in my book. No, I won't be doing any more power burnouts now, but that's okay too...besides, these 37's would be too darned expensive to shred! :cool:

DMD

airtime
11-14-2003, 22:15
Dmax, duramax, and Buck,
I got the truck lifted, drove it and it felt fine. They tell you to come back after 10 days to make sure everything is fine. My 10 days is coming up and I have a few questions.
1- my front wheels are 5 1/2"s wider than my back. This poses some problems. (a) It's a hassle at drive thru-s. (b) sucks at car washes! (c) It throws mud, water all over the truck and it hits the windows hard.
2- they didn't even the truck out. Meaning my front still has the factory "low" look. If you go to their website, duramax, "fabtechmotorsports.com" you can contact them there. I don't have the pics downloaded now, I am still trying. Look for them tonight, as soon as the "crumbsnatcher" goes to sleep.
Yes, Buck, I think it is just minor rubbing on the valance, and as soon as you see my truck you'll understand. The point is they told me that with a 6" lift and 35's, It won't rub. So far that's been all sales pitch! Along with "No lift kit comes with shock boots" I spent 5k on a lift, and you're not gonna throw in some shock boots? He said that most people don't want them! "They like the exposed look" What the f-ck? I race motocross and would NEVER think of not having something to protect my shocks! IT's still not decided, They don't even know yet, so we'll see.
I'll post another, hopefully with pics. (If I can figure it out.)
airtime-

ryeguy
11-17-2003, 12:54
Originally posted by DMAXDiva:
Yeah, I really like the look of the lift and 37's on my truck, but to be honest, I'm not sure that I would do it all again, given the chance. Mileage has suffered tremendously, as has performance (thank goodness for the Juice; it's been my salvation!). DMD, good to see you're still 'round.

But...Swampers of any nature will kill mileage. My Jeep pick-up went from 17.5mpg to 13.5mpg just going from regular radial A/T's (street tires, 35's) to TSL/SX's (for the rocks, 36's). I don't know how much loss in economy can be attributed to tire type vs. tire size for your truck (I'd like to know), but just FYI.

--Rob

Duramaxdiesel
11-20-2003, 11:28
So today I go and put the order in for the Fabtech lift and guess what the sales guy says? "You sure you want the Fabtech and not the Pro-Comp?" He goes on to say that the majority of people have had some sort of complaint about the fabtech and that I should reconsider. He said something about the track width not always being right and that's when I thought about Airtime. Now I'm back to square one. After looking at DMD's truck over a while, I'm thinking of going that route.