PDA

View Full Version : transfer case fluid

maxamillion
03-01-2003, 12:56
gm us part number 12378508 auto tracII fluid. does anyone make a synthetic replacement product for this item. my 2003 maintenance schedule indicates change at 50,000 miles. Is the gm blue lube the only one to be had?

looking for synthetic alternative. Does anypne know what this stuff really is?

PS: allison warrenty is for 36 months unlimited miles. why worry. ... I use mobil 1 synthetic atf fluid.

lost in connecticut. ... ? ;)

DmaxMaverick
03-01-2003, 14:39
maxamillion

!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unless you have a 1500, 1500HD, 2500, Tahoe, Yukon or Suburban, WITH Autotrac, DO NOT use Autotrac II fluid!!!!! Those are the ONLY full size models available with Autotrac as an option.

I'm going to assume that you have either a 2500HD, or 3500. These DO NOT have the Autotrac transfer case option. If so, Dexron III is what is needed. Mobil 1, Transynd, and Amsoil are all very good synthetic Dexron III fluids.

Search the previous posts for autotrac if you need any further info.

[on edit]
Quote:
"PS: allison warrenty is for 36 months unlimited miles. why worry. ... I use mobil 1 synthetic atf fluid."

Use the wrong fluid.....NO warranty. Simple as that. Mobil 1 ATF in the Allison is OK, as it is Dexron III fluid.

[ 03-01-2003: Message edited by: DmaxMaverick ]</p>

SoMnDMAX
03-02-2003, 01:08
It sure would be nice if GM would clarify this in the manuals....

:mad:

maxamillion
03-02-2003, 07:45
DmaxMaverick, Thanks for the reply, Are you saying that all I need is Mobil 1 ATF or Transynd for the Transfer case on my 2500HD? I was at the dealer recently and remember the parts guy saying a special type fluid was to be used in the transfer case and the stuff looked blue in color.

Your right I don't have auto track on the truck.

I've always used ATF in the transfer case in my prior vehicles and didn't think I had to use the blue stuff the parts people were telling me about.

Do you use Transynd in your Allison? I've found replacement filters out your way (CA) and had them shipped to CT at about $8.00 a piece. The Transynd fluid Allison recommends I haven't found yet. What I did was change out 6 quarts of ATF when the truck had 100 miles to Mobil 1 and changed it again at 4000 miles. I should be about 75% synthetic now. I don't think Allison recommends the flush type fluid change.

What is the difference between Mobil 1 ATF and Transynd ?

:confused: :

maxamillion
03-02-2003, 07:50
SoMnDMAX, Thanks for the reply. please see reply from DmaxMaverick He said it takes ATF. smile.gif

SoMnDMAX
03-02-2003, 10:33
Maximillion, I know... Dmax Maverick or myself usually catch these questions about the transfer case. smile.gif

The worst part is the fact that your dealer doesn't even know what fluid to use in the HD's. Sad. :(

If GM's listening, how 'bout a TSB to clarify this so dealers and customers aren't using the Auto Trac II fluid in the non-Auto Trac transfer cases?

Grizz272
03-02-2003, 16:50
Mt stealer is another one that specified the autotrac fluid. So when I pick up my truck I asked their "Duramax Tech." He said that the transfer case needed the autotrac fluid. He also could not find the in cab air filters. I guess I will be finding a better dealer. :(

jbplock
03-04-2003, 04:58
Grizz272,

I don't think the 03's have the cab filters. I haven't checked mine yet, but I seem to remember reading here on the forum that they were eliminated for the 03's.
smile.gif