PDA

View Full Version : Help With Scratches ?

hammer
07-19-2002, 18:50
How are you guys fixing the small scratches on your trucks as they develope in different ways.I have some on my truck but dont have any paint to touch them up.Someone said they dont have any small spray cans out yet for our trucks.Advise would be appreciated. Hammer smile.gif smile.gif

JEFSHP
07-19-2002, 19:31
I consulted with a friend of mine, owns a body shop, about a deep foot long scratch on my bed.
Friend said go to Chev & get the little touch up bottle with the brush in the cap & bring it to them, they will fix it for $50. I know their work, I won't be able to see where it was when the're done.

Bottle was not in stock, had to be ordered, 1 weeks time & $5 someting.

Sorry obout your dings.

John

TxDoc
07-19-2002, 19:43
Try http://www.langka.com/

Silver Bullet
07-19-2002, 21:41
You can get touch up paint from the dealer in a spray can. They had to order it. This is what I used to spray my bowtie in my grill. It was around $10.

mackin
07-19-2002, 22:05
hammer ,

How deep is the scratch? If you cannot feel it with your nail it is in the clear coat....... Get some 3M hand glaze and rub vigorously in the direction of the scratch, till it fades or fills to you liking..... Buff by hand, follow up with a good wax as the hand glaze is water soluble...... You may or may not have to repeat a few times, after a washing........But it works half way decent........Nothing will beat a machine but you have to watch for swirl marks......

MAC

[ 07-19-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

wangotango
07-19-2002, 23:17
I have used the Langka product on both my truck and Mercedes. XLNT results.

But I have that 7 years of high school goin' for me. So it's kind of an unfair advantage.

I recommend Langka.

w/t

Riverholic
07-20-2002, 04:00
I tried langka and my results were it colored the scratch lightly but didn't fill it. I tried it several times now and the result has been the same. After the application process and removal using langka it seemed that it was just a little better but not by much. I am going to take my truck to the body shop to get the scratches and chips filled.

SoCalDMAX
07-20-2002, 07:00
I was cruising a BMW forum, (you know, the ones who classify pinstripes as a performance upgrade) and they're talking about a franchise called Chipsaway. Look in the phone book for local shop. Someone had keyed the guy's quarter panel, and for less than the cost of getting stone chips fixed at the body shop he got all the chips and keying fixed. I saw the before/after pics, excellent job.

They use special paints that are mixed based on vehicle brand and color. Fast drying, undetectable repair and a fraction of the cost of a body shop. They're mobile too, it can be done in the parking lot while you work.

Regards, Steve

Turbo Al
07-20-2002, 09:26
I found a bottle of red nail polish that matches Victory Red pretty close -- for rock chips.

SoCalDMAX
07-20-2002, 10:28
OH NO!! Don't let this leak out to the Cummins guys!

They're already hootin' it up over a comment about Dmaxes being "girly trucks"! smile.gif J/K!

Regards, Steve

[ 07-20-2002: Message edited by: SoCalDMAX ]</p>

hammer
07-20-2002, 11:14
Thanks Guys,Was hoping for a Parts dealer that might be able to get the colors needed for our trucks but I guess they dont make them yet.Mine being a 01 I thought by now the paint spray cans would be available.Have used the little bottles & dont like the outcome of the results.Would prefer a spray can.Hammer smile.gif smile.gif P.S. The marks & scratches on mine are from people that dont care when opening doors & shopping carts.Oh Well,It goes with the territory.

wangotango
07-21-2002, 01:13
I suppose it all comes down to the results you are after vs. the amount you're willing to pay.

Imagine that.

w/t

Turbo Al
07-21-2002, 08:12
Steve: Good thing I didn't post that it looks good on my toe nails too! ;) The last Dodge guy that drove my Chev came back kicking his butt, he has a bad back and just loved the truck's ride and ease of egress.

SledZep
07-21-2002, 14:54
Can someone fill me in on the process with the spray bottles?? I have always been told to go buy the touchup bottle but use the end of a cardboard match to lichtly fill it in over and over... because the paint brish in the can will apply too much.
BANG you wake up from 20 years of sleep ;) and there are small spray bottles you can get color matched??
Do you tape the are off? What about overspray? Wouldnt alot of it be applied over the clearcoat "around" the effected area??
Let me know because my truck looks like it went through a war zone.