PDA

View Full Version : Gear Indicator Not Functioning Properly...SES...LIMP MODE...D'OH!!!

Silver Bullet
02-28-2003, 23:18
I noticed today the my gear indicator is not registering "R" for reverse, "N" for neutral, "2" for second, or "1" for first. It shifts OK, but...wouldn't you know it...36,800 miles!!!

Things recently done...TCM update to fix 5-4-5 busyness (1 month ago), boot for shifter on steering column replaced (2 months ago), and upgraded stereo (2 weeks ago). And 2 days of 4-hi on ice here in Dallas (this week).

Any ideas???

[ 03-02-2003: Message edited by: Silver Bullet ]</p>

mdrag
03-01-2003, 00:07
Can you say NSBU switch... ice, freezing weather, shift indicator gone funky :eek:

I'd check the connectors on the NSBU first to make sure they are intact.

[ 02-28-2003: Message edited by: mdrag ]</p>

Silver Bullet
03-01-2003, 19:31
Mdrag,
I have not "searched" TDP for NBSU yet so I am going to ask...where is it located? Also, today it jumped backwards a little as I passed through "R"everse going from "D"rive to "P"ark...is this also a symptom of the NBSU not connected properly or going bad?

Thanks!

On edit: Is it the "black box" on the DS of the Alli with a couple sets of wires coming into it?

[ 03-01-2003: Message edited by: Silver Bullet ]</p>

Silver Bullet
03-02-2003, 03:26
Thanks Hoot! I threw the dreaded SES tonight leaving the bar at 2am...45 miles from home! I "limped" home in 3rd gear around 50 mph!!! I am going to Autozone tomorrow and see if they can read the codes. The not-so-Bullet will be dropped off tomorrow or Monday morning at the stealer...just out of warranty...37,300 miles!!! I am going to do a little sweet talking.

On edit: I went to Autozone and got the codes today...P0700, P1643, P0708, and P0700. I came home for a while and then went to drop it off at the dealer...SES was gone and all gears were functioning. Go figure! I am glad I got the codes when I did.

[ 03-02-2003: Message edited by: Silver Bullet ]</p>

SteveO
03-03-2003, 11:36
Silver Bullet,

PO708 = install NSBU...

Silver Bullet
03-03-2003, 11:39
Thanks SteveO! The Bullet is at the dealer right now getting a new NBSU. I got lucky and they agreed to cover it under warranty...I have 37,300 miles on it!

[ 03-03-2003: Message edited by: Silver Bullet ]</p>

BassinRVer
03-04-2003, 08:46
SB,

i hope everything worked out for the best. I guess we all should be kepting this switch as a spare just like an extra fuel filter. I would hate to in BFE and it started to act up whiling pulling my travel trailer.

Any thoughts on the next GTG in Dallas? I can't wait to hear your stereo.

Silver Bullet
03-04-2003, 08:52
BassinRVer,
I had a couple days warning before it went "limp", but I don't know if this will always be the case. Hard to say if this something you should swap out as a preventative measure...I am not sure how many people have experienced this problem.

As far as the GTG...after it warms up a bit!

chuntag95
03-04-2003, 14:25
SB, you are a smart man to wait for warm weather. At least I won't have to listed to the wife complain about freezing.

On the NSBU, my father-in-law had to replace his weekend before last. His also started working after the kinetically adjusted it with a screw driver to get him through that week. He's out of warranty as well, but his dealer wouldn't help him out. He had right at 40K. How much are those switches? Might need to get one to put with the fuel filter in the truck.

Silver Bullet
03-04-2003, 14:29
Chris,
Check out http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=7&t=004749&p= for more info...

On edit: My Service Advisor was saying something about the old switch not being water proof! That is real nice considering the location. I think if you are going to buy one for "just in case" you might as well put it on as a preventative. I am guessing with the new model (tan in color) they have addressed it's water issues.

SB

[ 03-04-2003: Message edited by: Silver Bullet ]</p>

Silver Bullet
03-05-2003, 21:56
I got the Silver Bullet back today...all appears to well in NBSU land! The new unit is tan in color. I spoke with the shop foreman and he informed he had 4 Allison's in that had to have the NBSU replaced!

Alli-max
03-06-2003, 00:04
This entire thread is a big lie. None of that REALLY happened now did it???

I read the subject and the VERY FIRST thing that crossed my mind was.... Stereo install. That little "plus" sign on the battery is for red wires. That little "minus" sign is for black wires. You Dallas kiddos need to read the instructions.... :rolleyes: tongue.gif