PDA

View Full Version : 2500 (helper) springs

Burner
10-23-2003, 15:09
I have had three of these trucks, 00, 02 & 03. After 8 months, each of the trucks had the same problem... the rear started to drop. :( Every time I went to the dealer I would check the bed height against a new one, always the same answer: It's 1&1/2 inches shorter. I even took "all" (except the B&W Hitch) of the stuff out of my bed. Last week I bought some 305's and mounted them on 16x8 wheels, only to find out that the torsion bars would need to be turned up "all the way" to clear the fenders. :rolleyes: That wasn't bad but the rear of the truck just did not sit well with me being "lower" than the front. This only bothered me because; I carry 300 to 1,000 lbs. of tools every day and pull a (med-heavy 10-12k) trailer about once a week. I don't wnat to "fish" all over the road. So...... I went to my local spring shop and had them install an extra leaf spring under the first spring, the one with the eyes. Holly smokes!!! :D The truck sits almost 2" higher in the rear and looks GREAT! I was worried about the ride but to my amazement it's better! :D The only thing I can think of is that the bottom leaf sits like it did when I bought the truck. I did think about Air-bags but decided against them after hauling "heavy loads" (40 to 65 tons) with the air-bag lowboy and then the sprung lowboy. I just don't want another thing to break plus, I feel more safe.
--- Note: I did not "re-arch" my springs in fear that one side would get more heat and cause my truck to list.

--- Here's what I got
One long leaf spring with plenty of rubber (no-squeak), new forward bolts, new U-bolts washers and nuts installed. Total price --
--- I'll send pic's shortly.....

Gotta love this truck ! :D

Burner----------> :D

[ 10-24-2003, 07:12 AM: Message edited by: Burner ]

svpdiesel
10-30-2003, 12:03
Burner, do you have any specs on the leaf you installed? I'd love to get rid of the hard bounce caused by the truck settling onto the overload leaf.
Thanks

Kennedy
10-30-2003, 17:54
That's what I've been saying all along!

I've had an extra leaf (AND slight re-arch) in mine since about 6k...