PDA

View Full Version : 5500 mile trip at max GCVW - stock

DonG
02-28-2003, 18:21
Report on a 5500 mile trip through Washington, Oregon, Calif, Arizona, New Mexico and a small piece of Texas, and then back again.

First the tow vehicle:
2003 GMC SLE 3500 with D/A, EC, LB, 2 wheel drive.
Added Linux, running boards, 5th wheel hitch, & Brake Master brake controller.
Changed oil and filter before trip. Had dealer add almost a quart of fluid to each transmission and rear end because they were found to be low before trip. Otherwise the truck is stock.
Truck had 1100 miles on it before starting the trip.

RV Trailer:
31 foot fifth wheel weighing 14,000 pounds fully loaded for trip. The trailer is equipped with hydraulic disk brakes for better stopping capacity. The trailer stands 12 feet 4 inches high, so it presents quite a frontal plane.

The truck weighs 7500 pounds loaded with wife, me, fuel, and stuff.
Total combined weight of rig was 21,500 pounds.

Mileage was about 9.8 mpg when towing from tank to tank. Sections that were mostly mountains I got closer to 8 mpg. A couple of stretches with no mountains at all, I got just over 11 mpg. I set the cruise at about 62 miles per hour and it would hold OD except for hills. I was quite impressed with this ability. The OD lock out came in handy since I used it to downshift to 4th gear before the transmission did. Sort of preempt when I knew a high hill was coming.

The engine temperature never reached 210 degrees even under the hardest pulls. The transmission stayed about 150 degrees most of the time. Only twice did I see it get near 200 degrees. I used tow haul mode the entire trip except when I needed to force it to shift into OD.

Overall I was very impressed with this truck. The 3500 one ton with duals handled the trailer very well. No white knuckles when trucks would blow by. No indication that the trailer was in control at all. I used only

Lone Eagle
02-28-2003, 21:07
Nice write up Don. Did you notice better performance toward the end of your trip? Mine really starting running good around 6.5K. I get to test my Juice towing in a couple weeks. If the "Juice" helps as much towing as empty, it should be fun. Later! Lone Eagle :D

FisHn2DMax
02-28-2003, 22:28
Don G,

Great report! You must have a really "NICE" trailer with Slides to get that kind of Weight from 31'? I have a 5'er 30' with one 14' slide and empty it weighs 7900 lbs. with a GVWR or 11500. What kind of trailer is it?

You made me curious about the power lumbar support? I have a 2003 SLT GMC and it has a power lumbar adjustment? I'm not sure why yours wouldn't as it too is a 2003? Mine feels like an air bladder is used for the adjustment.

smile.gif

DonG
03-01-2003, 01:56
Lone Eagle, I thought the truck pulled better as the miles mounted, but that is so subjective I did not want to mention it.

FisHn2DMax, The trailer is a "New Horizon". They are only sold at the factory in Junction City, Kansas. It has two slides and is built extra stout for full time living. The windows are dual pane, extra insulation, solar panels, solid oak interior, etc. Not what every one needs, but I wanted it to last.

The SLT model does come with a power lumbar adjustment. In '98 the SLE came with a power lumbar adjustment so I was VERY surprised (and P.O.'d) when my 2003 SLE did not have the power lumbar support. I used to reach down and make small adjustments to the lumbar support and the power seat periodically, and it kept me more alert and fresh as I drove. Now I have only the power seat to adjust.

Don

Fathead
03-01-2003, 15:18
Don
I also have a New Horizon.Arn,t they fine!
FH smile.gif

sonofagun
03-01-2003, 18:42
Don,

Nice report. Soundds like a great trip. The juice would help in the headwinds. Be sure you get at least an EGT guage before towing with a chip. Gotta watch the heat.

Regards,
Bob :cool: