PDA

View Full Version : Allison Overheating

texastrophies
04-28-2005, 05:38
I have a 2001 8.1 4x4, 210000 miles. Had to replace the first tranny at 104,000. This past weekend, hooked up to travel trailer, made it about 10 miles before I noticed the tranny temp seemed to be higher than normal and the SES light on. Went back home. Replaced both filters, and still experienced the temp on a steady rise. Had to stop and let it cool off a few times.

Took it to the dealer, they replaced the TCC PWM solenoid, still doing it. Said the converter was bad, replace tranny for $4700.

I am having a problem with that, the truck runs and shifts fine, and pulled the trailer fine.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Please?????

Thanks.

Jim Brzozowski
04-29-2005, 08:46
You said you replaced both filters. When you pulled the pan how much stuff was in the pan?

More Power
04-29-2005, 09:07
Would be interesting to know what code(s) set the SES. This would give you a good place to begin troubleshooting and plan a repair.

MP

texastrophies
04-29-2005, 09:46
Had the service done at oil change place (Kwik Lube) they did not mention any thing in the pan, but I realize that does not mean anything.

I don't remember what the codes were, I saw them when it was checked, but don't remember. Checked my receipt from the dealer, and it does not show them either.

One of the codes said it could not get TCC to full lockup.

Right now my wife is driving the truck, just around the house taking the kid to school, baseball & what have you, short trips with no problems.

I bought a salvaged tranny w/32000 miles yesterday, it should be here late next week. I am going to put that in it, considerably cheaper than buying a new one, hopefully I am getting what I paid for, tho. Guess I will try to sell the old one and recoup a little of my money back.

[ 04-29-2005, 09:58 AM: Message edited by: texastrophies ]

MikeT
05-19-2005, 05:51
Have you checked the cooler and lines to make sure they are not stopped up?

Mike .T.