PDA

View Full Version : ZF 6spd Clutch Life

sjd_sd
01-30-2006, 12:19
Has anyone had to change their clutch in a dmax with ZF 6spd yet? My mechanic's assessment of a nasty grinding noise with the pedal partially depressed is that the throw out bearing is bad. Any idea what the cost should be?

I'm a little surprised. I have a Z28 with 97K, I had a toyota with 200K, and never had to do clutch work. I don't tow anything and mostly drive it on the freeway. There is a minor amount of 4wd in deep snow use, but nothing excessive.

jackrabbit
01-30-2006, 13:53
That doesn't sound as if it is only the clutch.

From the posts of the DMF failures, I would say that you need a new flywheel.

How many miles do you have on your truck? Do you do a lot of towing?

sjd_sd
01-30-2006, 14:39
The truck has 90K miles. Almost no towing.

What are "DMF Failures"?

jjgmc
01-30-2006, 21:01
jackrabbit is correct your flywheel is shot. Mine did the same thing as you describe there is a tsb for this

DmaxMaverick
01-30-2006, 21:09
Originally posted by sjd_sd:
"....What are "DMF Failures"? "Dual Mass Flywheel"

madmatt
01-31-2006, 03:31
I've seen many go at 15-20k on trucks that tow or have been hopped up.

sjd_sd
01-31-2006, 08:12
Thanks - I looked at some of the other threads as well.

The flywheel seems to be specifically covered by the warranty, so I'm planning to take it to the dealer. Is there any chance they're going to blame the problem on not having Transynd in my transmission? I've had Redline MTF in there for about 500 miles and it shifts fine.

Going to a dealer around here is a problem in itself. My best local one closed up. The next nearest one has given me, and others, real problems. The next,next closest can't even look at my truck for almost two weeks. Add in uncertainty about whether the repair covered under warranty and I have a bit of a dilemna.

crafty
01-31-2006, 09:04
I had a flywheel replaced in 2002 (35,000 kms) and then this past summer the throwout bearing went so while they were in there they put in another flywheel (98,000 Kms). I was asked if I wanted the clutch done too. I opted to change the clutch but it WAS NOT covered under warranty and cost me $500 to do it. The plus was that because I paid for it, I got the old clutch to keep as a spare. I figure if I need to pay for a flywheel in the future (now that I've run out of warranty) I will use the old clutch (if needed) and then sell the truck before it goes again.
My last truck was an 86 1/2 ton with a 6.2 4 speed and I never once had to do any work on the clutch or tranny in over 15 years and 330,000 kms. I am disappointed that this new truck isn't as reliable. It does pull better though!! :D :D :D

madmatt
01-31-2006, 10:14
My last truck was an 86 1/2 ton with a 6.2 4 speed and I never once had to do any work on the clutch or tranny in over 15 years and 330,000 kms. I am disappointed that this new truck isn't as reliable. It does pull better though!! your 86 didn't make nearly as much HP/TQ, and there is always a trade off. Clutch wear is one of them.

jackrabbit
02-06-2006, 08:44
[QUOTE] Is there any chance they're going to blame the problem on not having Transynd in my transmission? I've had Redline MTF in there for about 500 miles and it shifts fine.

No, this has nothing to do with the flywheel failures.

Jojo
02-06-2006, 13:00
Does anyone from GM ever get into these issues on our level? My flywheel was replaced at 5,000 with the original style, and at 58,000 with the new style. Problem was it was before I purchased the truck and the dealer in Texas installed the old clutch and pressure plate on the new flywheel. I have taken my truck to 2 local dealers and they tell me there is on a 12,000 mile warranty on this flywheel. What the Hell?!?! This is the 5 GM truck I have owned with only one of them being an automatic. All of them were traded with well over 200,000 miles on them and I have never had to work on a clutch. Iy really sucks that this is the most expensive one that I have purchased but can not use it for fear of a crappy flywheel and clutch design leaving me stranded on the side of the road....

crafty
02-06-2006, 17:41
I don't really think you will be left stranded with the flywheel problem. I drove mine for a long time with it acting up. All it did with mine was cause some vibration at different times. When the throw out bearing went bad it was noisy when engaging but that was all. I never had any issues with slipping or fears that I'd be left stuck somewhere. :D :D :D

jjgmc
02-06-2006, 22:33
Best bet here is to go with a aftermarket single mass flywheel either with a single or dual disk clutch set-up from either macs perfromance or south bend clutch

Jojo
02-07-2006, 07:49
Thanks, I'll look into them.