PDA

View Full Version : Storage Compartment Wont Open !!!!

6600Duramax
02-28-2003, 12:39
HUGE PROBLEM

The middle storage compartment between the seats is STUCK SHUT. Button wont work.

Wouldn't be that big of deal if wallet wasn't in it.

Anybody have this problem. If so has anyone figured out how to open the SOB. Dealer wants to charge me $100 and the truck only has 40,000 miles and the extended warranty doesn't cover it.

HELP!!!

txguppy
02-28-2003, 14:30
Hey 6600DURAMAX, I've seen this in several '00 & later GM P/K's. I don't know what causes it, but a crow bar opens it nicely. :D :D Seriously, These vehicles nowadays are made with SO much plastic it's amazing they hold together as long as they do. Does your console open to pax side, or to the rear? If it is the rear opening style, there is a safety lock device that keeps it from opening while in the upright position. This lock gets caddywampus somehow and locks-up the latch.

Don't know an easy fix, but good luck and be sure and post how you fixed it.

txguppy

6600Duramax
02-28-2003, 16:49
Thanks txguppy, hopefully someone will be able to come up with a fix. Really need my wallet....

On the other hand that means the old lady cant take $$$ it from me....hum maybe I should just leave it that way.... :D

battmain
03-01-2003, 06:56
A small screwdriver pushing on the latch will work. If I remember correctly, you have to push the screwdriver towards the rear as the hook part of the latch points forward. Hope you also checked to make sure you didn't lock it with the key. tongue.gif

Redhawk
03-03-2003, 10:16
Battmain is right, just push a slim instrument against the latch. Just be careful you push the right thing. There is a plastic locating stud next to the latch that might try and fool you. The latch is to the rear of the stud towards the rear seat. My console fits between the seats and the lid opens toward the passenger seat.

If you are really desperate, the latch looks fragile enough to break if hit hard enough. Maybe that's why the dealer wants $100.00 just to open it.

Good Luck

[ 03-03-2003: Message edited by: Redhawk ]</p>

KenZ
03-03-2003, 13:58
Mine hung up for the first time the other day. Instead of just trying to push the latch in slowly, I got a little frustrated and jabbed it a few quick times and it went in and opened. Works fine now. I don't know what it was. Maybe something I had inside was jamming it up?

Good luck!

Ken

jbplock
03-04-2003, 05:12
I had the split bench type console that opens toward the back on my 98 and it's latch also stopped working. I opened it using a thin piece of sheet metal and pushing to the driver's side to unlock. I was unable to fix the lock so I disabled the latch and kept the lid closed by wrapping a piece of double sided Velcro (hooks/loops on opposite sides) around the console. smile.gif