PDA

View Full Version : Excessive Allison whine

armalite
02-27-2003, 12:27
One dealership said it was normal, another replaced the transmission. Spoke to the mechanic who did the work. He said he was able to remove several of the torque converter bolts by hand! Anyway, new trans is in and the truck seems fine.

SteveO
03-03-2003, 11:41
armalite,

Being able to remove the TC bolts by hand was a common thing for the 01s... Way to many came from the factory with them loose or missing...

Thanks,

hoot
03-03-2003, 11:43
Steve,

Is there an easy way to check and tighten?

mackin
03-03-2003, 19:19
Ya drop the starter ........

I myself have been hemming and hawing about doing it when it warms up ..... Don't think I could trust the dealer to do it ....

MAC :rolleyes:

[ 03-03-2003: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

Jake99Z71
03-03-2003, 19:28
Hoot
Check out this thread I started back in Dec.

http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=7&t=004454&p=

JoeyD
03-03-2003, 20:05
SteveO, My brother has a 01 HD 8.1 Allison and the trans whines louder than any other one I have heard. It has been to the dealer and they say it's normal. Is there a buliten or anything to help solve this? Is it the loose bolts causing the whine? Thanks

armalite
03-04-2003, 12:55
Joey D,

According to the mech. that worked on my truck, the whine is a result of the trans pump gradually getting damaged from the loose TC bolts. I was also able to feel some slight stumbling and shakyness on soft acceleration and deceleration. It almost felt as if the loose bolts caused some drivetrain wobble. I was able to hear the whine of the trans. over the diesel engine and could no longer hear the whine of the turbo. Now that its fixed, I can hear the pleasant sound of the turbo again and the truck does not have the "sloppy" feeling I was experiencing prior to the repair.

Have your brother get a second opinion on his trans. What SteveO said a couple of posts above is true, some of the early production units have had this problem. The mech. that worked on mine confirmed what SteveO said as well.