PDA

View Full Version : Oil Pressure Reading

RapidMax
02-27-2003, 10:12
I recently needed to have the instrument panel replaced in my '03 Duramax with 4K miles on it because the gauges quit working.

For details see: http://forum.thedieselpage.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=7&t=004724

With the new instrument panel, I now note that the oil pressure readings seem high. Nothing else has changed -- e.g. I didn't change the oil recently. I might be imagining it, but I really don't recall the pressure readings being this high before.

The gauge is labeled kinda wierd (see below) but I think my numbers are something like this:

- idling: about 45
- coasting: about 52.5
- cruising: around 90 +/-
- pedal to the metal: pegs at 120

Are these pressure readings normal? Note, I have no powertrain mods on my truck.

The other thing I notice is that the gauge seems to respond differently than before. It seems quite responsive. for example, if I'm in park and push the "go" pedal, the oil pressure gauge swings up just about as quickly as the tach does. It acts similarly on the road. I thought it was typically more sluggish and gradually adjusted to changes.

Here's how I'm reading the gauge (I think only 60 and 120 have markings):

Maybe I'm nuts, but any (non-psychiatric) help would be appreciated.

[ 02-27-2003: Message edited by: RapidMax ]</p>

RapidMax
02-27-2003, 18:14
UPDATE:

Today, leaving work, with engine somewhat cold -- I stopped at the first light, put the truck in neutral and let the engine idle -- oil pressure was 97.5. Then, driving, just a little pressure on accelerator and pegs at 120.

This just isn't right, is it?

Thanks in advance.

Grizz272
02-27-2003, 18:39
Those readings do seem high. Staring my Dmax when it is below 0 F I have never peg the oil gauage. When the truck is warmed cruising at highway speeds I run around 60+ and at idel 30+ I hope this helps.

Grizz

=

RapidMax
02-27-2003, 19:37
UPDATE:

Today, leaving work, with engine somewhat cold -- I stopped at the first light, put the truck in neutral and let the engine idle -- oil pressure was 97.5. Then, driving, just a little pressure on accelerator and pegs at 120.

This just isn't right, is it?

Thanks in advance.

a64pilot
02-28-2003, 09:09
The only way you will know for sure what your oil pressure is is to temporarily install a direct reading pressure gauge, factory gauges are known to be inaccurate. They are useful only to spot trends, not pull numbers from IMHO
On review I don't think that you can Auto Tap oil pressure.
JK can you OEM scanner read oil pressure?