PDA

View Full Version : Anyone interested in a trip computer.

EZ
07-17-2002, 12:56
I make a trip computer for motorcycles. I frequently get requests for other vehicles.

I would like to know if there is a demand for use with the Duramax powered trucks. I own a Duramax and would like to have one on the truck. I cannot spend the design time required just for myself.

Dave

GMC D-Max
07-17-2002, 13:04
Just figure out how to make the Denali Driver's Information Center work with the Duramax, and we'll ALL buy one!

Burner
07-17-2002, 13:06
Dave,

The trip computer would be "great" to have. I had thought about placing one in my truck...until I had seen the 03' truck. The new truck has all of that stuff and more. I will have mine up for sale shortly, just don't know where to sell it?

Rich

odoh
07-17-2002, 13:09
I'm interested ~ do you have any firm ideas in mind? ~ odoh

EZ
07-17-2002, 13:44
Rich,

are the trip computers in the new models an option or standard?

Is it available with the gasoline and Diesel engines?

My system utilizes the fuel injectors to measure fuel used. The electronic injectors on the Diesel makes it possible to do the same except the rail pressure is not constant. I have to figure out how to monitor the pressure and adjust for the change in fuel flow.

If there's enough of a market I will pursue it.

Dave

Kennedy
07-17-2002, 14:06
EZ, we have done similar fuel usage calculations on a laptop scan tool so it should not be that difficult. You will not want the pressure though in this case.

We also added a user inputtable "fudge factor" to allow fine tuning since the ECMs fuel calculations are not exact, and can vary based upon mechanical condition.

The other factor is that aftermarket boxes will skew this all to pieces...

AKDmax
07-17-2002, 16:51
I'm interested! I thought Jason was working on one alreay? anyone heard?

mdrag
07-17-2002, 18:20
AKDmax,

I received an email from Jason the other day. He has a bunch of new and interesting mods on his website, but I did not notice anything about a trip computer.

Chris N5CWM
07-19-2002, 06:55
The 2003's have a new multi-function trip computer
with: AVG MPG, CURRENT MPG, OIL life monitor, plus
some other functions I cannot remember. I did not
have access to an owners' manual when I test drove
the GMC DMax that had it. The system is going to
be used in all 2003 GM trucks that I'm aware of.
I looked at a new Hummer H2 and it had the same
computer system. There are buttons on the steering
wheel that control the computer. The H2 comes with
a gas 6.0.

denverdale
07-19-2002, 07:18
EZ
Could fuel consumption be measured using a couple of flow meters. One on the fuel delivery line adn one on the fuel return line at the tank. That way, fuel pressure and add on boxes wouldn't matter.

Denverdale

Mic
07-19-2002, 07:47
"Just figure out how to make the Denali Driver's Information Center work with the Duramax, and we'll ALL buy one! "

Ditto that...

"The 2003's have a new multi-function trip computer
with: AVG MPG, CURRENT MPG, OIL life monitor, plus
some other functions I cannot remember. I did not
have access to an owners' manual when I test drove
the GMC DMax that had it. The system is going to
be used in all 2003 GM trucks that I'm aware of.
I looked at a new Hummer H2 and it had the same
computer system. There are buttons on the steering
wheel that control the computer"

That or make this one ^^^ work...

EZ
07-19-2002, 13:31
denverdale,

I threw out the double meter method long ago. The cost is a factor. The needed sensors are in place. That is the injector and now with modulated rail pressure the presure sensor. Injector time would be factored by rail pressure. The system would be entirely electronic and that means easier to install and maintain. It also would be amune to changes in the fuel control. I'm guessing that power mods may not take into consideration the data fed to the factory trip computer.

I would need to add the pressure input and program that in. My current system is for BMW motorcycles. It does not have all the functions of the automoble systems but it has the basics. Range is the primary function. The bike unit replaces the clock so the space was limited. It also is controlled by just two buttons. The original clock set push buttons. See it at www.fuelplus.com

I wondering if there is a market for a basic add on.

Someone give me a link to the Denali system. Is that aftermarket or on specific vehicles?

Dave

denverdale
07-22-2002, 15:44
Dave
Years ago (mid 1970's), J.C. Penny sold a trip computer. It provided speed, trip miles, MPG, fuel used, etc. It used a flow meter device to generate a voltage to drive a a circuit to equate the fuel passing that particular spot. I still have it if it could be of any use to you to analyze. My thought is that two flow meters to bias an IC would produce a sum that represented the total fuel consumed. I am probably way off base here though. If you want additional info on the J. C. Penny unit, feel free to e-mail me at
dalestephens@att.net.

I would be interested in a trip computer, but $$$$ is a factor right now.

Denverdale

stillracing
07-23-2002, 20:15
Hey guys just go check out the new GPS units. They have real time trip computers and alot more, like maps. I have the Etrex Legend. You techy guys will love it.

colorado2002
07-25-2002, 20:00
"If you build it, they will buy it". I would like to see something like this also.

Thanks.

fred
08-01-2002, 11:13
hi, i installed a cadillac escalade trip computer in my 2002 3500 d/a crew cab, everything works ,but no fuel milage, i have talked to a cadillac engineer at gm , he never got back to me,, it will work on a gas engine, but i can't get it to work on my duramax