PDA

View Full Version : Remove OEM Exhaust??

GMFAN70
10-18-2003, 18:29
Hi All You DIY's:

Re my 2002 D/A CC/SB. Thinking about going to a 4" exhaust system of one brand or another. Install is one thing but I looked under the truck today and I'm not sure how to get the OEM system out of there, especially the front section from the downpipe to the flanged joint midway. I also don't know for sure how to remove the hangers from the rubber supports.

How tough is it? I'll appreciate any advice.

WillowCreekStable
10-19-2003, 08:18
Pulled mine off last weekend, in the driveway. Took me two days to do the total exhaust install, but that included the trip to the hospital for stitches. Don

mackin
10-19-2003, 11:14
Originally posted by GMFAN70:
Hi All You DIY's:

Re my 2002 D/A CC/SB. Thinking about going to a 4" exhaust system of one brand or another. Install is one thing but I looked under the truck today and I'm not sure how to get the OEM system out of there, especially the front section from the downpipe to the flanged joint midway. I also don't know for sure how to remove the hangers from the rubber supports.

How tough is it? I'll appreciate any advice. It's really simple with a few tools and a jack and some lubricant spray ....

Spray the hangers with lubricant spray like WD 40 ....
Remove passenger side rear shock ...
Unbolt at flange, retaining gasket for reusing ....
Start to work the rear portion out of the hangers, tough but do able ... Start in the front work your way back ....
Once its free and drooped on to the rear axle, jack the right rear corner under frame till enough clearance between body and axle are achieved to slide system forward over rear for removal ....

You can remove the right wheel well liner if you chose or just reach behind and loosen the V-clamp that holds the intermediate pipe from the true turbo downpipe .... I believe it's a 10 mm nut ....I can see mine under the liner .... You will need a deep socket ......

This is a two piece removal technique I used to preserve my OE exhaust ... You could just get out a saws-all too .... Install of aftermarket exhaust is pretty straight forward .... When installing DONOT tighten V-clamp till all the wiggling and balance of install is done ..... Therefore no excessive pressure is put in this area to avoid any residue damage to the manifold,turbo area of the exhaust system ...

Scar and stitch free,for now .....

Mac

GMFAN70
10-19-2003, 11:29
OUCH!!! Hope I can skip the "trip to the hospital".

Thanks much, WCS. Sounds like even an old guy like me can make it happen.

Mackin
Sounds good to me (no scars or stitiches)! I'll print out both these jewels of wisdom for future use and post back when the deed is done. Thank you,

Frank

GMFAN70
10-24-2003, 19:43
WillowCreekStable and Mackin:

The deed is done! I followed your instructions and the job went like clockwork. 4 hours working alone in my garage, using a floor jack and jackstands, and the new 4" exhaust system is installed. I didn't remove the wheel well liner and the v-clamp nut on my truck is 7/16".

Lots of clearance at the shock and about 1 inch clearance at the spare tire. Don't know if that will allow me to go to 265's later???

So, what did you install, you ask?

Ahem, and well ......
I decided to venture into untested waters and leave a few bucks unspent (as yet). Cheap, third-world, aluminized steel, louvered glass pack bullet muffler, delivered for $314.40 from Summit Racing.

I'm not very experienced at this, but the install was easy, the fit was good, and the overall quality and accuracy impressed me. I've not done anything yet except a five mile test drive. Pretty loud when you get on the throttle hard and really rattles at certain conditions. But quiet in the cab when cruising (no load) at 70 mph. No gauges so I can't report anything concrete.

Just a fun job that went well because of the help I got from the above mentioned forum guys.

Thanks all,

Frank

PS: No new scars or stitches, thank you very much!

BlueOx03
10-24-2003, 20:39
Not really untested waters, I've been running the same system for a couple months now. It's good to see someone else out there in the flame suit. To set the record straight, this one's made in the good old USA though.
I splurged and got the 18" tip with mine and it took me just under four hours as well. I did manage to Drop the OEM pipe on m head though...good to see others have got beat by there truck too. I like mine, I didn't get any rattles though, do you got a baby stuck in there somewhere? might want to check it out...

Ox